Ring Around The (tub) Aquarium Due To Bdbs -

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by treelover3, Apr 22, 2018.

1. treelover3New MemberMember

... where are all of the threads that explain the cleaning process?

Today was the first day nice enough to be outside in shorts and a T-shirt so I grabbed the chance to be able to wash the bag of BDBS outside using the hose.

To be honest, I thought that I had cleaned the Black Diamond blasting sand (BDBS) very well, as the water coming off of the sand after 3 or 4 washes was clear; however, as soon as I put the BDBS in the aquarium and started adding water it became very (unclear) clear that I should have used warmish water and that I should have also used some sort of surficant to be able to remove the oily residue and also the black dust, before adding the BDBS to the aquarium.

I am currently running just a Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 canister filter on the tank right now using just the coarse foam and then 5 of the white polishing pads to try to rid the tank of the fine black dust and oil.

The tank is surprisingly clear considering the filter has been running for just about 6 hours or so.

How does everyone else that uses the BDBS or has used BDBS in their tanks, clean the gravel to avoid this mess?

Thanks for any insights into this! I have a few more aquariums that I could setup and I also have another 50LB bag of the BDBS waiting in the wings.

Thanks,
    Mike
    tl3

p. s. I thought that I had read in the forums that someone actually used Dawn dish washing liquid to wash their BDBS and didn't have any problems with their fish after doing so.

p.s.-2 This is a 55g aquarium.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

I have gone around tanks using a cup that I dip and hold just beneath the surface to get floating matter (some organic potting soil and perlite). I have found that works better than skimming with a shrimp net.

3. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

I think I'm the one that posted about washing with Dawn dish soap and warm to hot tap water. I've cleaned at least 6 50lb bags with Dawn and added fish shortly after with no ill effects. A few batches weren't rinsed as well as it should have been after using Dawn and still no ill effects.

To clean the residue in the tank, use paper towels. Lay it on the surface to absorb the surface oils and wipe off the sides.

4. treelover3New MemberMember

ec,
    Thanks! I actually found a YouTube video by the DIY aquarium guy (his name is Joey, I believe) and he has a video on how to make a really slick DIY surface skimmer out of an empty plastic water bottle.

DO,
    Okay, thanks, so I wasn't hallucinating when I read your post. The next BDBS washing will be with Dawn!
    Many thanks for confirming!
    Mike

5. NLindsey921Well Known MemberMember

King of diy is awesome. I love his tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice