Rimless tank- fish that won't jump?

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a custom rimless tank set up this summer. Right now it has about 15 Pygmy Cory cats which I adore (I say "about" because a couple have died and the tank is super heavily planted so I can never actually see them all at the same time). I also added six Sparkling Gouramis, which I had wanted for an extremely long time. I only have two left because the others have all jumped out. :(

Are there any fish that I could add to this tank (other than more cats) who would not jump out? Or am I stuck with catfish and plants and nothing else?

I'd rather not put a lid on the tank. I know if I give my many reasons for that people will shoot them down, but I want to talk about fish that won't jump out rather than ways to put a lid on.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's 90 liters/23 US gallons. It was made to the same spec as an UNS 90L (30cmx30cmx90cm or about 12x12x36 inches).

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All fish can jump, but you probably want to stay away from surface dwelling fish which are more likely to do so.

I've never noticed my rasboras jump, so they may be a good choice? Same as otos?

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The footprint is 12x36 inches if you're allergic to metric. It's 12 inches tall. I had reasons for needing that footprint but now I wish I'd had it made a bit taller. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, and the tank is the largest of four that were bought on the promise that I wouldn't indulge a case of MTS for at least two years. I made a deal with my husband, and I have to stick with it, so ditching my custom tank because the Sparklers refuse to stay inside isn't an option.

I was thinking of Rasboras but now I'm not (they will likely jump too).

Unfortunately since I still have two Sparklers (who appear to have paired off- this is probably why the others sought greener, um, carpet) I have to stay away from anything else that gets territorial like Rams or Apistos.

Any other ideas?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well TBH only dead fish wont jump.

Literally most fish can jump. My oto jumped while I was on vacay in july. RIP.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So do the YouTube aquascapers that exclusively use rimless tanks just replace fish constantly? I'd already worked out that I would not be able to keep it topped up to the rim like they all seem to do, but 30cm in height doesn't give me a ton of leeway.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as they all seem to be happy to rip out hundreds of Euro worth of plants every time they get a whim to change things around. I guess it's not a problem when you have a plant company sponsoring you. It seems like wanting a semi-permanent aquascape makes me an oddity.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks! Floating plants are the "cover" I use in my other three, smaller rimless tanks, as they are low-flow- but this tank has a Hamburg Matten Filter and the vast majority of the flow is across the top of the tank. Is there a floater than can tolerate this? So far Amazon frogbit has utterly failed to survive and duckweed is only just managing to keep going, and will never completely cover the top as there's too much movement- but those are the only two I've tried.

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've seen my neon tetras jump 8" out of the water. I didn't know what was happening to them until I seen this (they were jumping out). I made a "removable rim" to prevent them from jumping out. I take it off when I'm at the tank and/or for pictures and put it back on when I leave the tank.

I noticed that my neons only jumped when the lights went off. Since using the removable rim I think they have learned not to jump because I haven't seen this behavior in quite some time.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Freshwater puffers aren’t known to jump. Keep the water level kinda low and they won’t get out. Maybe a red eye puffer?
Puffers are territorial/aggressive, are they not? I'm fairly sure they would not get along with the Sparkling Gouramis I already have and would likely attack Amano shrimp (which are also already in the tank and would be hard to rehome even if I wished to do so as the tank is heavily planted). My understanding is that a puffer tank should be species only, am I incorrect about this?

I noticed that my neons only jumped when the lights went off. Since using the removable rim I think they have learned not to jump because I haven't seen this behavior in quite some time.
My tank is literally just to my left all day as it's next to my computer desk. I have never seen or heard the jumping, so I have to assume it happens at night. Unfortunately this tank includes plants with emersed growth, as well as a light that's mounted directly on the rim and cannot be raised. So even a temporary "when I'm not looking at it" lid won't work- this is why I said I didn't want do go into "how to cover it". :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom