Rimless Aquarium with Lid Clips

MysticOarfish

Hello everyone! I'm relatively new to fish keeping and I need some rimless tank advice. My tank is a Seapora Crystal Series Rimless 48 gallon aquarium (36x18x18). I've been looking into glass lid options that I can use with rimless aquarium clips. I'm having a hard time finding options that fit my tank dimensions and will work with the clips. I have seen websites where I can custom order lids, but I'm interested to hear what has worked for others in similar situations. Thanks in advance!

Best Answer - View Flyfisha's answer

Flyfisha

Don’t bother using Perspex . It will not stay flat with heat and water. I can recommend suntuff or any of the other brands on multi-wall plastic roofing. While not clear enough to see though it is often used as a lite weight safe lid.

note the addition of an edge strip (J) mould. image.jpg

Fisch

MysticOarfish said:
Hello everyone! I'm relatively new to fish keeping and I need some rimless tank advice. My tank is a Seapora Crystal Series Rimless 48 gallon aquarium (36x18x18). I've been looking into glass lid options that I can use with rimless aquarium clips. I'm having a hard time finding options that fit my tank dimensions and will work with the clips. I have seen websites where I can custom order lids, but I'm interested to hear what has worked for others in similar situations. Thanks in advance!
You may want to go to a glass place, they will cut a piece of glass to your requirements and normally are not as expensive.

MysticOarfish

Flyfisha said:
Don’t bother using Perspex . It will not stay flat with heat and water. I can recommend suntuff or any of the other brands on multi-wall plastic roofing. While not clear enough to see though it is often used as a lite weight safe lid.

note the addition of an edge strip (J) mould. image.jpg
Is your top one panel of plastic roofing? It's hard to tell because of your light fixture. And did you just go to the hardware store and buy a fitted piece of Suntuf?

Flyfisha

I brought a sheet that’s 2400 x600 / approximately 8 feet x2 feet. It cuts with a Stanley knife/ box cutter and a straight edge. I have multiple tanks . My local hardware store in Australia sells smaller sheets 1200 x600 / 4 feet x 2 feet. It’s 8 mm thick./ 3/8 inch. The J section for the end is sold separately.
Yes that tank has a one piece lid. image.jpg
image.jpg

MysticOarfish

Flyfisha said:
I brought a sheet that’s 2400 x600 / approximately 8 feet x2 feet. It cuts with a Stanley knife/ box cutter and a straight edge. I have multiple tanks . My local hardware store in Australia sells smaller sheets 1200 x600 / 4 feet x 2 feet. It’s 8 mm thick./ 3/8 inch. The J section for the end is sold separately.
Yes that tank has a one piece lid. image.jpg
image.jpg
Thank you so much for this suggestion! I did the same to my tank and so far, so good. It looks nice, my fish can still see out the top, and it was easy to cut (the big hole on the right is for the automatic fish feeder for when we leave town)

Attachments

Pfrozen

OMG I have been looking for a tank lid solution! I googled polycarbonate sheets and I can literally just go to the store and buy one and cut it. Wow. Thank you!!

Top Bottom