Right rainbowfish balance for 260l community tank

AltheAl

I have a 260l (120cm long) tank settling in nicely with moderate planting and scaping for hiding. It currently has 19 amano shrimp, 7 kuhli loaches and 8 zebra danios, all of which seem to be doing well. I also have about a dozen bladder snails that hatched from something I bought, but I'm not exterminating currently as they help with some of the algae load, despite being a bit ugly!

My plan is to increase the stock to 12 rainbowfish (possibly more in future, but will see what nitrate levels look like). I'd really prefer two types rather than just the one. I guess I could go for three types at 4 each, but it would seem from the many threads saying both work that 6 would be marginally preferable to 4 of each kind. It would also seem that 50:50 male/female is the advice for these numbers (or all male).

ph - 8
kh - 6 to 9
gh- 14 to 16
nitrates from tap ~40, but starting to get that down in tank to ~20-30 with lots of filter media and planting helping
Basically London water! Current water temp is 24-25C normally (it got to 29C last month when the sun actually shone for a while until I bought a fan!).

Between a couple of LFS, I have a decent enough selection (more options with online delivery from elsewhere in the country could be an option). I really like Boseman's, so mainly am looking to pair a good colour and size choice with them, but open to suggestions! They also seem relatively easy to sex at LFS, as do Dwarf/Praecox. They're sort of my default choice without much imagination being applied! I'm not sure how much size differential and temprement play into these choices, but I'm assuming from what I've read not too much with the types I'm looking at.

Would love any tips to help me get off the fence on what to stock please! For reference, these are the types and prices I can currently get hold of easily:

1629132620674.png

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
PAcanis
20 Gallon Tank Betta vs. Dwarf Gourami
Replies
Views
Drafe