Right...algae problem.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Deus, Mar 21, 2006.

1. DeusValued MemberMember

I have a bit of an algae problem. It started covering the little castle in the aquarium, it has a few ittle spots here and there on my plastic plans, in the windows... EVEN ON MY REAL PLANT!?!?

So I took out my charcoal filter and started putting some algae treatment.
    3 week now. No change.

I reduced twice the amount of light.
    I put the plant in there in the first place thinking it would take some of the nutrients the algae feeds on for itself (not have algae grown on it's leaves..)

So yeah.. I don't know what to do anymore.
    :(

Any clue?

Thanks!
    :)

Ioan
    (P.S: I did think of an algae eater but Butterfly thinks my tank is full)
    ;)

2. chris02_84Valued MemberMember

get a snail

3. DeusValued MemberMember

any kind in particular?
    :)

4. JonWell Known MemberMember

Amano Shrimp
    Otto Catfish
    Siamese Algae Eater
    Plecos

all of these are good at eating algae... what size is your tank?

5. DeusValued MemberMember

10 gallons with 6 cherry barbs in.

6. JonWell Known MemberMember

ollive nerite snails are very small and eat algae... they can be used in freshwater but will not reproduce in it... or so i have heard.

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Do more water changes and leave the chemicals out. The chemicals can stress your fish and in some cases even kill them. Your plants will use the excess nutrients the algae is using to grow. The more live plants the better.
    Carol

8. JaysonNew MemberMember

This site has some info on the olive Nerite snail as suggested by Jon, plus there are a couple other possibilites.

While the large ponds snails risk eating your plants, they will certainly eat the algae. I have two apple snails and haven't caught them chewing my live plants yet. In order to satisfy my snails I've been attaching salad to my larger aquarium rocks. They seem to like that.

cheers, Jason

9. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

I was just wondering if this is an American site or a British site?

Gwenz :)

10. DeusValued MemberMember

contact us says arizona
    ;)

11. JaysonNew MemberMember

Yo Gwenz, written under the Japanese trapdoor snail section is says "NOT GENERALLY EASY TO FIND IN THE U.S."and in addition to what Deus posted, my best guess would be US.

Which snail(s) interests you?

cheers, Jason

12. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

I would get an oto or 2

13. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't...Otos need very good water quality, so a densely planted tank or else tons of water changes. And anyway, the tank is full.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice