Ridiculous Algea Problems?

Buganjimo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 20 gallon long that has A LOT of algea, I'm not talking a little here and there, but covering literally every surface in the aquarium. I have 4 nerite snails, 4 ADF’s, and a betta. I have finnex 30” lighting which is 18 watts. There is so much algea, I usually turn it on at around 8 am and off around 8pm, is that too long? Any advice would help, thanks in advance.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you don't have any water column feeding plants to out compete the algae for nutrients you may need to up your water changes to get rid of the nutrients or cut back on the length of time the lights are on. Fish don't really need a light most rooms are bright enough to give them the day and night thing. Lights are just for our viewing pleasure and to grow plants.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, your light is on too long. I would decrease it to 4-6 hours.

OP
Buganjimo

Buganjimo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, I have java fern, rotala and another plant that I forget the name of... my tank is actually in the basement so it doesn’t have windows and its all dark down there so the lights give the day/night cycle to the fish too. I’ll try decreasing the amount of light

New Threads