Question Ridding Live Rock Of Dinos

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,
So I've been struggling with Dinos in my 350L reef on and off for a few months, I thought I finally got rid of them about 4 weeks ago, until I came back from a 2 week trip to China to find my tank full of them, I'm due to set up a 15L Pico tank next weekend and am going to use some rock and sand from my DT (so it is ready for coral within a day or so (I'll also use water and cycled media from the main tank too)), my question is, is there a way to remove the dinoflagellates from the rock I intend to use in the pico without hurting the coraline algea? The only thing I can think of so far is to stick it in pitch dark container for 3-5 days before I'm due to set the Pico up, will this work? Or can I use something like seachem coral dip to do it? Or better does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks ,
Ethan

P.s, the reason I have the dinoflagellates is my RO unit was faulty, just ordered a new one due to come in on Monday, so hopefully the big tank will be sorted in the next few months

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The problem is that Dino appears due to lack of nutrients (ie no nitrates) so we need to find a way to raise your nitrate levels and then you will find it easier to get rid of them.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The problem is that Dino appears due to lack of nutrients (ie no nitrates) so we need to find a way to raise your nitrate levels and then you will find it easier to get rid of them.
Ok, how would I do that? I take it just dumping in food won't work? Should I turn my skimmer off?

Also, i dose this chemical (pic attached) and have been away for two weeks, dosed more yesterday and the algae is much worse today, could this contribute to it?

Thanks,
Ethan

P.s, I've also got a tonne of algae in the tank, green stuff, I think it's just new tank ugly phase but won't increasing nitrates also increases this stuff?
1566141062942.jpg
1566141076502.jpg

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would quit dosing it. Are you using RODI water or tap?
Ok, I'll stop.

I'm using RO, which I added a DI finger to about 6 months ago... Just changed out the membrane as it was reading 65 TDs, now it's at 14... Not sure why though.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You might want to change the other membranes as well. It should be zero. How many stages is your system?

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You might want to change the other membranes as well. It should be zero. How many stages is your system?
I changed them just before I went away three weeks ago, so I'll be annoyed if they've already gone, it's got a prefilter, carbon filter, membrane and DI resin, so 4 stage I think... (Unless membrane not included)

Ethan

P.s, spent a while last night and removed about 50% of the top layer sand bed, I cleaned it off under freshwater and put it back, I know it has killed the BB, but the algae was too bad... Hopefully the die off will also increase nitrate?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom