Riccia Fluitans, No Co2 For It.

andrearamirezo91

Hello everyone

My rookie self bought riccia fluitans for the new low tech tank I'm setting up, which I intended on using for a carpet. I realize this is not the proper plant for my tank as I am not capable of keeping up with its high demand of light and CO2.

It's currently floating around in my aquarium but I don't intend on keeping it in there. I'd very much rather give it to someone in this awesome community than just throw it away. If anyone is willing to pick it up I'll give it away for free.
BST thread here https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...cia-fluitans-ft-lauderdale-miami-area.411476/

stella1979

Wish I had the tank for it!! Sounds like we're almost neighbors too. Almost... I'm down in Homestead. Curious what your favorite fish stores are? I've been known to visit a few in Broward and I really like The Aquarium King, which I believe is officially in Hollywood. Found it when I went to a fish expo nearby a couple of years ago, though admittedly, have only been back once. I'm nearer to Key Largo than Miami, and quite honestly, Key Largo is my hometown, so I usually prefer going south rather than north if I have the choice. It is not a choice for fish stores though, as the selection definitely lies on the mainland.

Anyway, if you don't get any takers, I'd feel comfortable boxing the plant to be shipped again after it's spent several days under lights. If you have long distance friends or family to send it to that is. Otherwise, I'm sure plenty here would pay to ship free riccia! How very sweet of you to offer giving it away here.

andrearamirezo91

I’m actually more towards the Sunrise area. I live in Weston specifically but the keys are like my second home. Me and my mom love fishing and scuba diving and we go there a lot! I have had plenty of amazing experiences there so the keys hold a very special place in my heart Right now I’m planning a surprise trip for my mom to Mexico for whale shark season! I found an awesome deal for two entire days swimming in the ocean with those wonderful giants and I’m beyond excited!

I honestly don’t know a lot of fish stores around the area, but my favorite is called Fish’s Paradise. It’s not a huge store but the fish seem pretty healthy.. they have a lot of variety and the people there seem to know what they’re doing.

Hollywood is pretty close to me though, so I’m probably gonna go check out the aquarium king this weekend! I love me a good trip to the fish store

andrearamirezo91

stella1979 so patience is not one of my biggest attributes lol.... I went to the store you mentioned after work today I loved it! Just a heads up though they stopped selling freshwater fish three months ago but they had a beautiful selection of saltwater fish and corals. Everything looked so healthy too! Not a sick looking fish in the store.

stella1979

stella1979 so patience is not one of my biggest attributes lol.... I went to the store you mentioned after work today I loved it! Just a heads up though they stopped selling freshwater fish three months ago but they had a beautiful selection of saltwater fish and corals. Everything looked so healthy too! Not a sick looking fish in the store.
Awww, dangit!! In all of SoFlo, (not that I've really searched the whole place), they are the only store I found that quarantined and were willing to show me the big back room with all the qt tanks! It's sad that freshwater doesn't seem to be a sustainable business for the privately owned stores. Got my betta there and they had a great selection of plants and hardscape then too!

Super cool that you're a diver!! I was a diver for many years and even worked in the diving industry for many years in Key Largo... but this was all many years ago. Still, it's awesome to know we've seen the same sites! Now... I'm wondering when you'll let me help you set up a reef tank!

If at all possible, it would be great if you could share photos of the dive sites you and Mom see in Mexico.

andrearamirezo91

Awww, dangit!! In all of SoFlo, (not that I've really searched the whole place), they are the only store I found that quarantined and were willing to show me the big back room with all the qt tanks! It's sad that freshwater doesn't seem to be a sustainable business for the privately owned stores. Got my betta there and they had a great selection of plants and hardscape then too!

Super cool that you're a diver!! I was a diver for many years and even worked in the diving industry for many years in Key Largo... but this was all many years ago. Still, it's awesome to know we've seen the same sites! Now... I'm wondering when you'll let me help you set up a reef tank!

If at all possible, it would be great if you could share photos of the dive sites you and Mom see in Mexico.

I would LOVE to set up a reef tank! I have always been a huge fan of saltwater tanks and grew up in the ocean my whole life.. Saltwater tanks just always seemed so intimidating and complicated! I can barely keep a planted tank in check (already starting to see some traces of diatoms in my newly planted anubias petite :grumpy so I have a hard time picturing myself successfully keeping a reef tank lol. With good direction and the right sources of information everything is possible though! I’m gonna have to take up on that offer sometime

I’ll definitely share some pics of our dives! Just got a new gopro specifically for this trip since I heard that area has some of the prettiest reefs

stella1979

Well then, let me tell you... I struggle with planted tanks and find the reef to be WAY easier! With that, I should say that it's a nano by reef standards... a 20-gallon long tank which relies on a lot of previous purchases as well automated 'things' for survival, but my only hands-on activities are...
  1. Water changes every week.
  2. Testing twice a month.
  3. Having a quick look at things every day... for example, that the lights come on, pumps are working, the water line is correct and no alarms are going off which might tell me that an automatic process is broken.
  4. Quite a bit less regularly, I must be sure that containers which provide things like freshwater for top offs, (automated), calcium and alkalinity adjustment (corals 'eat' calc and alk, so at some point there's enough coral that the uptake outweighs what water changes replace and they must be added to maintain proper levels... this process is also automated), so I must regularly be sure that these jugs of freshwater or solutions are full.
  5. I also have a temperature/heater controller... because wouldn't it be sad if a heater malfunction killed all I've invested time, money, and my heart in. This product will cut power to the heater if temps get too high.
Anyway, I don't intend to coach you on a reef tank (yet), only to tell you that with the proper setup as I've done, (over time... not all of these things were running when the tank was new), running a reef isn't hard at all... and I recently got back from an 8-day vacation, and all was well with the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
Replies
Views