"Ribbon" plan from PetSmart (Lucky Bamboo) submersible as advertised? Mine dying

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by 1611mac, Aug 12, 2015.

1. 1611macValued MemberMember

I've got conflicting information. I have one of these (see picture - link below) in a tank given to me and it looks very very poor. The Petsmart page says Top Fin "Ribbon" is also know as "Lucky Bamboo." Petsmart description says it can grow "fully or partially submersed" yet other posts here indicate that Lucky Bamboo cannot stay submersed, leave must be above water.

My plant is just the top leaves sticking out of the substrate (gravel). There is no "stalk" to see.

is it Lucky Bamboo or not and is it "fully" submersible?

I think I need to remove from tank and try to rejuvenate mine with just the stalk submerged???

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. escapayWell Known MemberMember

That is weird because it also says:

Which seems to indicate it is a semi-aquatic plant.

We have these at work and it does say semi-aquatic on the container. They probably indicate it can be fully submersed, but that would just be temporary as it would kill the plant eventually - hence why most recommend against having them in an aquarium. They are meant for a houseplant or in a terrarium.

3. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

It isn't aquatic, it can be grown in shallow water but it will start to rot if fully submerged.

Fun fact: it isn't bamboo either.  

4. 1611macValued MemberMember

OK.. That is what I suspected. I'll put it out and try a terrarium grow if it will survive. It's in pretty poor shape.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

6. Makena95'GTWell Known MemberMember

That Top Fin White Ribbon plant should have come in a tube that is labeled "semi-aquatic" if it came from the plant tank, it is a lucky bamboo plant that's tag on the tank should also say "semi-aquatic"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice