Rhizome Plants: Bury Roots or Leave Exposed?

youngstermatt

Hey guys, new plant keeper here! I have several clumps of Java Fern and two Anubius Nana plants in my Fluval Edge. All of the plants are taking off quite well, the Anubius plants are shooting up a new leaf every week or so and the Java Ferns shoot up one or two new sprouts a day it seems along with the small plants growing off of the leaves themselves. I initially had these tied down to rocks and wedged between them, leaving the rhizome exposed as it should be, but the roots are growing so rapidly that they are just turning into a mess. Is it ok to bury the roots of both the Anubias and the Java Fern as long as the rhizome remains above the substrate or should you not bury the roots at all? Though a little hard to see in the pictures, the Java Fern roots are starting to be a bit of an eyesore and are just growing in tangled clumps, so they're the ones that I want to plant in the substrate most. Thanks for the help everybody!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

hampalong

Any green parts of both plants, including green roots, should be above the substrate where they can get light. Brown roots can be buried.

You can bury green roots for a week or two (pull them up and they will have substrate stuck to them and will then be heavy enough not to need tied down), but permanent burial will harm the plants.

RockLobster

Yup, the rhizome should never be buried, that's where they take in most of nutrients in the free flowing water.

20th Century Gup

The anubias and Java ferns take nutrients from the water, not the substrate. There's been many times where the plant dies off buried. So keep those two plants tied to something or wedged between a rock. The roots and the rhizome should be exposed

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
julien0101
Replies
Views
shrimpscaper
  • Question
Replies
Views
Leeman75