Rhizome and rocks

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Brook16, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Brook16New MemberMember

Would it work if rocks were placed in front and back of the rhizome, wedging the rhizome, rather than tying it to the rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I have done just that where I place the plant in a decoration or rock formation. They do quite well...since they feed off the water column. You can also get a sliver of slate and get some Seachem reef glue and just put a dab on the slate..and that plant immediately sticks to it. Then wedge the sliver of slate in between the rocks or lay it on the substrate, just brushing a little substrate over the slate to hide it. I did that with my Cichlid tank..and in my opinion, that glue by Sea chem is the best! It works the same way as tying it to the rock or driftwood. Its a very secure attachment

3. Brook16New MemberMember

Thanks chrt396. If you use glue on the rhizome how hard it is to separate for propagation?

4. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

just dab a little on the root base. Not the rhizome. You can separate it. Just don't go wild with the glue! It just holds it in place so it doesnt float away or get dug up by Cichlids.

5. Brook16New MemberMember

Got it. Thanks. That leaves the rhizome free with only the roots glued. Perfect

6. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

AGAIN...don't go crazy with the glue! Just a couple dabs on the slate or rock..and just touch the plant to the glued area..and PRESTO BINGO..withing 20 seconds..it's attached!

My biggest problem with tying plants is that they seem to always look deformed to me after I tie them. PLUS..my eyes are not good enough..nor am I patient enough to work with that extremely thin fishing line.