Rhinogobius Hencheunsis and ADFs

juniperlea

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
978
Location
US
It's official. I love ADFs. One day, I saw a video that showed the above fish, and I was smitten. I envisioned these fish with ADFs. But, it's really hard to get info on that particular goby (gobi??? sp?). I haven't made a full commitment to falling in love yet with this fish,yet. It's really hard to find and if you can find them, they're very, very expensive (for me). I've heard references to gobies, but never went anywhere with it. Are they (freshwater only btw), good community fish? Should I even bother?
 

Tol

Well Known
Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
335
Experience
2 years
Rhinogobius Henchuenensis is one I had not heard of before. It may be hard to find a definitive answer as to if they would make a good community fish being that they are pretty rare. Like you said, not a ton of easy to find info on them. I did see mention that they are subtropical fish though which I believe is 64-72F? ADF are more like 75-78F
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
978
Location
US
Tol said:
Rhinogobius Henchuenensis is one I had not heard of before. It may be hard to find a definitive answer as to if they would make a good community fish being that they are pretty rare. Like you said, not a ton of easy to find info on them. I did see mention that they are subtropical fish though which I believe is 64-72F? ADF are more like 75-78F
I saw them on a Prime Time aquatics video. Thanks for the info re the temp. I hadn't found that in my research. Perhaps my fantasy is just that! If you watch the video, and you like ADFs, you visualize them living in perfect harmony!
 

Tol

Well Known
Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
335
Experience
2 years
There are some other cool gobies to be had that are much more common. is where I saw the subtropical mention.
I enjoy my ADF and they get along well in my community, they only really fight with each other for food.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
978
Location
US
Tol said:
Rhinogobius Henchuenensis is one I had not heard of before. It may be hard to find a definitive answer as to if they would make a good community fish being that they are pretty rare. Like you said, not a ton of easy to find info on them. I did see mention that they are subtropical fish though which I believe is 64-72F? ADF are more like 75-78F
Why can't I have it all?!!!!! :D Why can I easily find cichlids, guppies, 'sharks', glofish, goldfish, cories, platies, betta, rasboras, rams,,,, even ADFs. They flood the market. Who's driving the fish market? :D I'm fairly certain it's the manufacturers. Not the fish vendors. The temp is definitely an issue. My room temp in the summer is about 79F. Thus, the tanks are the same. That would be a problem. Still.... I'm not entirely sure that I'll give up.... yet! ;)

Oh Dear Me.... today, I saw a Peacock Dudgeon. What's a Dudgeon? This is why I get frustrated with my dealers! The dealers drive the market.
 

Tol

Well Known
Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
335
Experience
2 years
juniperlea said:
Oh Dear Me.... today, I saw a Peacock Dudgeon. What's a Dudgeon? This is why I get frustrated with my dealers! The dealers drive the market.
Peacock Gudgeon, they are fairly common I think. A shop near me has them pretty much all the time.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
978
Location
US
Tol said:
Peacock Gudgeon, they are fairly common I think. A shop near me has them pretty much all the time.
Not near me. I would have to spend hours online researching fish store and maybe even drive hundred of miles...... that's $ and carbon footprint. It's actually cheaper for me to buy online, but online buying has absolutely no guarantee.
 

Tol

Well Known
Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
335
Experience
2 years
juniperlea said:
Not near me. I would have to spend hours online researching fish store and maybe even drive hundred of miles...... that's $ and carbon footprint. It's actually cheaper for me to buy online, but online buying has absolutely no guarantee.
Bummer, I guess I am somewhat spoiled to have a few good local shops that get some nice fish or are willing to special order them for us.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
978
Location
US
I just found out about a small store that's a 120 mile round trip away. But, they seem mostly to be about reptiles and saltwater fish. But, I'm going to invest about $12 USD in gas and visit their store sometime this week. I live right at the US poverty level, so $12 in gas is a great deal of money to gamble in the name of fish.!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)
 

Leilio

Active Member
Member
Messages
127
Reaction score
154
Location
US
Experience
Just started
juniperlea said:
I just found out about a small store that's a 120 mile round trip away. But, they seem mostly to be about reptiles and saltwater fish. But, I'm going to invest about $12 USD in gas and visit their store sometime this week. I live right at the US poverty level, so $12 in gas is a great deal of money to gamble in the name of fish.!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)
try to find out their contact number and call them beforehand. Just my 2 cents
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
juniperlea

juniperlea

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
978
Location
US
Leilio said:
try to find out their contact number and call them beforehand. Just my 2 cents
I know. I can do that.... but there's nothing like being there! I haven't been out of my 2k community for a few weeks, so driving to the big city (population 67k), is actually going to be an adventure! LOL! . Happily, my car music system is flash drive. So I made a 'driving music' file and I bellow down the highway towards my big adventure!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
107
Guests online
2,178
Total visitors
2,285

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom