Rheostat on Penguin 350

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by hmayes, Jul 1, 2016.

1. hmayes

hmayesValued MemberMember

Hi folks,

I have a 20G tanks with a Betta and some glass cats. I'm going to add some other things once my tank finishes cycling. I have a penguin 350, and I think the flow rate is a little too strong for the Betta. There are some places he goes where there's not a lot of current, but sometimes I see him resting up against a plant and it looks like the current is pushing him into it.

My question is: can I plug the filter into a rheostat (dimmer) to adjust the flow rate? I assume it's just a sealed motor with an impeller. Just wondering if anyone has done this or knows about it. I don't want to damage my filter motor.

Thanks!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would baffle the output rather than add a dimmer to the filter.

Personally I think it would be better to move the betta to his own tank. Depending on which species you have, it may not be temp compatible with the betta.

3. OP
    OP
    hmayes

Ok thanks. How do I baffle the output?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can add a sponge where the water is coming out or you can do a DIY baffle with a plastic bottle (there are some threads in Fishlore about it, if you can find them).

5. OP
    OP
    hmayes

Oh okay thanks! I'll check that out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice