Rhabdocoela in Crystal Red Shrimp Tank

Kmullz

HI all, I have known that there are tiny white flatworms in my shrimp tank for a while. They are not planaria, however I am wondering if rhabdocoela are still dangerous for shrimp fry, as I am having issues with my population.

I used to have shrimplets all the time with a large population of CRS. Seems like shrimplets only last about two days now and the adults are dying off 1-2 per week without being full grown. They moult fine and have great healthy color and activity until they just die.

I tried dog dewormer with no luck (3 doses over 3 days). I feed on a glass dish and have cut back to once every few days. There are leaves and alder comes to lower pH which may be sustaining these worms? They stay just below the substrate and there aren't too many. My water parameters are perfect, kH and gH are right for crystal red shrimp, live planted with hiding spaces, Aquasoil and wood for buffering, and pH is around 6.8.

Should I be worried about the worms? Any experience with this or suggestions?

86 ssinit

Not sure but one of my shrimp tanks have stoped expanding too. Nothing wrong with the shrimp. They look fine just the numbers have decreased. I’m thinking that they’ve adapted to the tank. Where there were over 300now I’m guessing I have about 100. I feed every other day. My second shrimp tank is new and still in the expanding mode. Lots of shrimp in there and I’m still culling out the brown and off color ones. Also in the first tank I’m getting all red shrimp. Very few if any brown.

Jack B Nimble

For me as a precaution if I notice any worms even though what I see maybe harmless I "nuke" the tank with "no planaria" which is harmless to shrimp. For baby survival I believe it's very important for the first few weeks to feed them well. I noticed that the very small babies don't travel more than the area the size of a nickel for almost a week. So if they don't get the food they need in that small area they more than likely will die. So I use Bacter AE every second day a very small portion to ensure there is food everywhere in tank. I also use a combo of spirulina powder, bee pollen,tetra color granules and bacter AE all ground together in a coffee grinder. I add some water to that mix, let it dry like bread doe and create tiny what I call shrimp bombs. I drop tiny pieces in different areas that feed adults and babies as it spreads out well. In one tank I have around 3-400 babies of all stages of age and I do not see reduction in qty. I am no expert but, I do believe that starvation plays a role in baby survival rates in competing with adults. I never have adults random deaths like you mention which to me needs further investigation and ritchie will be better informed to help you out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies
Views