Revised Stocking Plan

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DeniseMichele, Jul 22, 2015.

1. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

LOL hopefully this will be my last post in this section of the forum (at least about this tank). So I originally had a whole plan based on rummynose tetra. However, I did some more research over the last few days and I really think it is a bad idea since my water is slightly hard (6-12 dh), and the pH was 8.2 when I tested it. I've read that the rummynose can die quickly under these conditions and I think it would be more trouble than its worth to try to change my tap water parameters. I've also always been told that you should try to choose fish based on your tap water conditions, instead of trying to change your water for fish.

With all of that being said, this is now what I am thinking. Let me know what you think:

55 gal that will be light to moderately planted in the beginning, but hopefully it will be more heavily planted in the future.

Filters: SunSun 302 and Tetra Whisper 20i

- 13 Zebra Danio
    - 3 Mollies
    - 5 Platy
    - 2 Mystery Snails
    - 7 Albino Cories
    - 13 Bloodfin tetra*

* I am back and forth on the Bloodfin tetra. I like them but I am not sure that I need them with the others. I originally left them off of the list, but I really wanted one last different or special addition. I considered doing a pair of Rams but I don't think they will do so well in the lower temps (72-76F). All advice is appreciated :)

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I believe most fish can adapt to your pH without any harm

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What Brandon said, you can even make wild-caught ones adapt to a different pH. I have done this with 10 Pelvicachromis Taeniatus :)

4. OP
    OP
    D

I mean, is this for sure? Everything I read keeps saying that rummynose tetra need soft acidic water and I have the opposite....

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

It's easier for fish needing soft, acidic water to adapt to hard water than the opposite. As long as you acclimate them to your tank slowly.

6. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

It's for sure! as long as you acclimate them correctly you won't have a problem.

7. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yea just acclimate the fish very well. I usually drip acclimate my fish for 1-2 hours

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Most fish can adapt to a wide variety of PH and hard/soft parameters. It's better to have hard water and high ph than soft water and anything else. The hard water will help you maintain a solid PH without it crashing.

Fish can adapt to wide ranges as long as it's consistent. The harder the water the more consistent it should be.

But rummynose tetras are usually suggested to only be added to established tanks. So something to keep in mind

9. OP
    OP
    D

Okay, thanks I guess I will stick with my original stocking plans then. And I will be adding the rummynose tetras last, I'm just getting a plan in mind for as I go along. So I don't go to my LFS and make a random decision based on what looks good at the moment lol

10. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I know exactly what you mean

However, from my experience, no matter how much you plan, your stocking plan will always change.

Mine is still changing and I'm almost completely stocked :) Then you get all your fish in there and you find out you have a rebel fish that is more aggressive and you have to get rid of it and that changes your plan. Then when that part changes another part changes. Then some fish die and you replace them with something else...it keeps going and going but it's fun :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice