Review on API algaefix...

1. TheCoolFish Member Member

Feel free to write your story too. So I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank that I have had a serious problem with algae lately. I tried everything! (turn off lights 50% water changes daily blanket over tank) So I resourced online to find out about algaefix. I read the reviews about how it worked but it could kill fish. So I took the chance and bought I put in in and believe it or not it started to work in about two hours! (my ratio was 1m to 10g and about 60 gallons of it) the next day I notice it didn't clear it up all the way so I decided to turn off the light (in the room and in the tank) and put a blanket over it. BTW I had 1 pleco it was doing fine before I put in a second douse. I didn't listen to the directions and I put in a second douse that. I checked on it 20 minutes later and my pleco was floating at the top so I hurried and set up a hospital tank and put him in there. Through my panic he died of shook of not inclining him to the tank. Luckily he was my only fish in the tank so I am glade and sad. I will later reply to this thread to see if it worked or not. In my opinion it will not harm your fish if you follow instructions.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

The same exact thing happened to me! I had an algae bloom in my tank a while back. I did water changes and water changes and the green water kept coming back . It was soo frustrating. I tried the "blackout" where you turn of the lights for 1-2 days. It was a problem cause my tank was planted so it ended up killing some of my plants. Then I decided to buy the same product "API Algaefix". I dosed the first day and nothing worked. Did a water change the next day and dosed again. Nothing was working. Until I just decided to leave the tank how it was with that nasty green look. After a while somehow I changed the filter pad and put a new one. The next day the water was clearing up. Then the next day more clear. Until finally it became crystal clear. It was a miracle! This is how my tank looked when i had an algae bloom ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406670522.593359.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. TheCoolFish Member Member

Well I hope it works for me I have an overflow tank filter. That is what my water looks like right maybe alittle greener

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Good luck. It will go away soon. Some people told me that it was caused because of too much lighting

5. TheCoolFish Member Member

Well I do put about 4wpg for 4 hours but that's barely enough light i only run my lights for about 6 hours everyday and no more than 8