Revesre osmosis cleaning your unit

richiep

Well its in the title but I'm just wondering how often and how do you clean out your rodi units
Mine have started to get a green algae build up on the inside of the pods so I guess it's right through the system and although the tds is tds3 coming out I fear there's bad bacteria also escaping through the system which may be aiding the hair algae build up in my marine tank

Frank the Fish guy

I have a UV sterilizer in my RO unit, and that seems to keep everything clear of stuff growing in it. I have not had to clean it. Also the hoses are all opaque and are not supposed to allow algae.

If you can see stuff growing in your RO unit that makes it out, I think that is a good sign that you would do well to add UV sterilization to your system. That will kill the floating cells in the water before they get to your tank and multiply.

My unit suggest that you can soak the parts in bleach water to clean them while you are changing the filters.

richiep

I have a UV sterilizer in my RO unit, and that seems to keep everything clear of stuff growing in it. I have not had to clean it. Also the hoses are all opaque and are not supposed to allow algae.

If you can see stuff growing in your RO unit that makes it out, I think that is a good sign that you would do well to add UV sterilization to your system. That will kill the floating cells in the water before they get to your tank and multiply.

My unit suggest that you can soak the parts in bleach water to clean them while you are changing the filters.
Thanks for that Frank I didn't know you could add uv steriliser to them, I take it id fit this before the first stage

Frank the Fish guy

UV comes at the end of the filter chain. The idea is that you want the water as clear as possible for the maximum penetration of the UV light. I have mine at the end of the chain, followed by a re-mineralization filter and then on to the holding tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ricmcc
Replies
Views
Igor95
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
  • Level99Fishing
  • Algae