Reverse Undergravel filter with Canister Filter

1. C

Cliff New Member Member

Hi all, new here and have a thought but not sure if it will work.

Can I use the output of canister filters for a reverse undergravel setup?

I have a 90g tank with a filstar XP L filter running in it. I also have a fluval 106 from an old tank that I am thinking of adding as extra filtration and a backup.

I was thinking of setting up a pvc pipe network under the gravel and connecting the output of both canisters at oposit ends of the network. Then using surficeskimmer pickups.

My hope is this would help keep the gravel clean and still provide the bio, mechanical and chem filtration of the canister.

Will this work at all or am I out to lunch?

What size holes and how many should I drill in the pipe?

Any other info or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

2. bigdreams

bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I personally an not a fan of underground filters. Reversing the flow of a UGF doesn't make sense to me either. I am not sure it will work as you think it will, but I am no expert. Presumably there is a grate or something already underneath the gravel, why create network of PVC pipes?

3. t

theheretic New Member Member

You are not out to lunch and it will absolutely work. The easiest way, which I used on a 55 gal. marine tank many years ago was to use a standard UG plate sized for your tank and make up some adaptors from a plumbing supply store to hook you filter output to the lift tube of undergravel. Making one is more involved using PVC pipe drilled and formed into a grid on bottom of tank. Plastic Egg Crate is then attached using plastic zip ties or silicon. That is covered with plastic screen. A lot more work than using a commercial plate but depends on how much of a DIYer you care to be. Add air stones or power heads to agitate water surface......Good luck and let me know how you make out.