Reverse Osmosis Question

Discussion in 'pH' started by cichlidmac, Dec 28, 2012.

1. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

I found a great deal on a r/o unit, so I've been researching the science behind it. It seems that r/o water has very little kh which would mean it doesn't have much buffering capacity. If Im using co2 it would seem that r/o water could actually be dangerous as far as big time ph swings. Is this accurate?

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

3. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

The KH of RO water is really low (RO/DI being lower), mine is ~1 dKH, but how low it is varies. The lack of buffering capacity would result in pH swings, most of the time, with or without CO2. The swing caused by CO2 is not dangerous by itself because it is only a pH change, but the pH swing caused by a low buffering capacity is dangerous since it is also a change in KH. Either way it would need to be reconstituted or mixed.

You can use straight RO water and reconstitute the water yourself with baking soda to a dKH of at least 4 to keep the buffering capacity high enough. Then add to the GH, with GH booster or seachem equilibrium, to add back some of the necessary minerals before a WC. The easier way is to just mix tap and RO water to the target KH.

4. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

My tap only has a kh of 2 so either way I think I need to add to the kh a bit.

5. ryanr

Yep, I would agree. Aim for 4dKH as a minimum.

6. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

What is the most natural way to do this?
    Edit: without affecting my Ph?

7. ryanr

Crushed coral, egg shells are great natural ways. Put it in a mesh bag/pantyhose in the filter, and it will slowly release over time. (Plenty of threads here that discuss raising KH)

8. OP
    OP
    cichlidmac

Yeah I've heard of that a lot guess I'll do coral instead of carbon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice