Question Reverse Osmosis System

Blake5690

Reaction score
I am looking into switch to RO water as opposed to using straight tap water for my salt water tank. I’m having a hard time getting nitrate levels down due to the fact that the tap water contains 10-20ppm nitrate. I had an over feeding incident while I was out of town which sent my nitrates through the roof. I’ve been able to get them back do around 40ppm but would like to go lower. Any suggestions on a system that works well and is affordable?? I have a 46gal bow front with aqueon quietflow 400gph filter and a cpr backpack protein skimmer.

Thanks!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like my BRS. You will want DI also for saltwater IMO.
IMO just get one that uses regular 10" cartridges and you can set it up how you want .
Stay away from the cheap $75 units that need a special cartridge only they make [ro buddy]. You will end up spending more on the cartridges in the long run then ifyou had just bought a good unit. RO/DI systems work on pressure so you may need a pump to increase your supply pressure.Under 50PSI will waste a lot of water and the cartridges before the TFC[Thin Film Composite which is the heart of the ro system.]
Cartridges for my expensive BRS start at $2 for some of the industries best ...

Tony_097

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Trust me you'll regret buying a cheap system I did at first and after a while I got huge diatom blooms gotta go with the brs system

OP
B

Blake5690

Reaction score
How long do the cartridges usually last? I typically do a 10% water change every other week on my 46 gallon tank.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you replace the cheap ones the carbon last longer and a good TFC should last 3 years .
The first 2 or 1 are micron/sediment filters either 5&1 micron followed by carbon that is usually 5 micron so it should stay clean and last longer .
I change sediments 2-3 times before change carbons .Only replaced TFC once in 5 years now.The sediments are $2.99 -$6.99. Carbons are $7.99-$16.99
Those prices are from BRS.
How often They need to be replaced depends on your source water TDS, amount of water made and efficiency of unit . A poor unit can use over 6gallons to make one.All that water goes through all filters but TFC at the end where waste is rejected. So a more efficient unit can save money . The canisters don't wear out so all you ever need to get is filters .
I order maybe 2-3 years worth at once get free shipping and don't worry for a while .

OP
B

Blake5690

Reaction score
That’s not bad at all! Thanks for the info

New Threads