Reverse Osmosis System Question

Discussion in 'Water Parameters' started by Blake5690, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Blake5690

Blake5690New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    I am looking into switch to RO water as opposed to using straight tap water for my salt water tank. I’m having a hard time getting nitrate levels down due to the fact that the tap water contains 10-20ppm nitrate. I had an over feeding incident while I was out of town which sent my nitrates through the roof. I’ve been able to get them back do around 40ppm but would like to go lower. Any suggestions on a system that works well and is affordable?? I have a 46gal bow front with aqueon quietflow 400gph filter and a cpr backpack protein skimmer.

Thanks!

2. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,416
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I like my BRS. You will want DI also for saltwater IMO.
    IMO just get one that uses regular 10" cartridges and you can set it up how you want .
    Stay away from the cheap $75 units that need a special cartridge only they make [ro buddy]. You will end up spending more on the cartridges in the long run then ifyou had just bought a good unit. RO/DI systems work on pressure so you may need a pump to increase your supply pressure.Under 50PSI will waste a lot of water and the cartridges before the TFC[Thin Film Composite which is the heart of the ro system.]
    Cartridges for my expensive BRS start at $2 for some of the industries best ...

3. Tony_097

Tony_097Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +143
    Experience:
    4 years
    Trust me you'll regret buying a cheap system i did at first and after a while i got huge diatom blooms gotta go with the brs system

4. OP
    OP
    Blake5690

Ratings:
    +6
    How long do the cartridges usually last? I typically do a 10% water change every other week on my 46 gallon tank.

5. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,416
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you replace the cheap ones the carbon last longer and a good TFC should last 3 years .
    The first 2 or 1 are micron/sediment filters either 5&1 micron followed by carbon that is usually 5 micron so it should stay clean and last longer .
    I change sediments 2-3 times before change carbons .Only replaced TFC once in 5 years now.The sediments are $2.99 -$6.99. Carbons are $7.99-$16.99
    Those prices are from BRS.
    How often They need to be replaced depends on your source water TDS, amount of water made and efficiency of unit . A poor unit can use over 6gallons to make one.All that water goes through all filters but TFC at the end where waste is rejected. So a more efficient unit can save money . The canisters don't wear out so all you ever need to get is filters .
    I order maybe 2-3 years worth at once get free shipping and don't worry for a while .

6. OP
    OP
    Blake5690

Ratings:
    +6
    That’s not bad at all! Thanks for the info :)

Become a Fishlore Member