Question Reverse-Osmosis System

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi I'm looking into getting an RO system for my fresh water tank so I could expand my range of fish to things like angelfish and ram fish. My question is can anyone recommend a good one and is the Aquatic Life RO Buddie 3-Stage Reverse Osmosis System a good system. That is the one I've been looking at but I haven't expanded my research that much. This would probably not be purchased till about March.

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Answers are much appreciated. lol
Thanks.

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's the brand I have. It's universal, customizeable, and upgradeable. Lots of video tutorials in the site.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-systems.html

As with the RO Buddie, it's pretty cheap. But the filter cartridges may not last long, the output is low, and the rejection rate may be questionable. Again it's up to you what is good enough for your tank's needs. At least having one will always be better than none at all.

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
My first question..... Why do you feel the need for RO? What is your standard tap water like?
Angels and rams are pretty tolerant of most water conditions, it's really only discus that get real fussy, and even then, they're more tolerant than people think. Unless of course you're breeding

Too, be prepared to re-mineralise the RO water, as pure RO is very unstable.

Second, when it comes to RO units, it is not the unit that makes the difference, it's the membrane used, combined with the pre-filter and carbon filter (DI resin is pretty much standard no matter who makes it)

When looking, look for a unit that uses a high quality, high rejection rate membrane. The US made Filmtec membranes are some of the best available. Pre filters (sediment) should always be 1 micron, as it helps protect the membrane, and the carbon filter should be a high quality carbon e.g. Coconut carbon.

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the reply Ryan ... I was told by a pet store employee that I would need reverse osmosis water for rams and angelfish so I guess my first question should be is RO water necessary. Also would or water be beneficial to my tank.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hence why I asked what your current tap water is like

It may be fine.....

Last edited:

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sounds like what he meant to say was - "you need to spend more money in our store before you can buy these"

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the reply Ryan ... I was told by a pet store employee that I would need reverse osmosis water for rams and angelfish so I guess my first question should be is RO water necessary. Also would or water be beneficial to my tank.
Bahaha that is so rubbish. We can't blame them for trying, we need LFS's to survive the business and we need them to keep the hobby. The fish will adapt so long as your water isn't so terrible. When we first bought an RO system it wasn't for aquarium use. I only use it now because it gives me predictable results and no unknown variables from the tap.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoelTRG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My tap water isn't bad ... At least I don't think it is... I have city water so I believe it is probably fine I'll probably test hardness of my water soon.
But... thanks for the info guys I almost spent $150 because of LFS lies lol...

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Testing your tap water is the first step. Perhaps the LFS was giving advice based on their understanding of the local tap water. Maybe it's extremely hard or something. Then again, they may have just been trying to drum up some additional sales.

Anyhow, once you've tested the water, you can decide how to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom