Reverse Engineering My Next Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by BHK3, Apr 14, 2017.

1. BHK3

BHK3 Well Known Member Member

In my first post a couple weeks back I got some great suggestions on my stock levels in my 26G Bowfront tank. In the end I figured out that I'm already at my max stock level (and quite possibly a bit overstocked) and that I won't be able to do what I need to do to make my fish happy unless I get a bigger tank. Instead of buying a bigger tank and then figuring out what I can fit in it, I think it makes more sense to determine what I want for fish and then figure out what size tank they need to be happy and healthy.

Right now in my 26G tank I have the following:

14 Neon Tetras
    2 Matae Corys
    2 Otocinclus Catfish
    Pond and MTS snails (a small amount under good control)
    3 assassin snails

I primarily want to get more corys and oto cats since I know they're shoaling species. At the very minimum I want the following in my next tank:

14 Neon Tetras
    6 Matae Corys (though I'm open to recommendations of more if you think they'll be happier)
    6 Otocinclus Catfish (ditto to my cory note)
    Pond and MTS snails ("want" is probably not the right word for these guys, but I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon)
    3 assassin snails
    1-2 larger centerpiece fish (haven't decided what kind yet, but for the sake of this discussion let's say Dwarf Gourami

What size tank do you think the above fish would like to live in comfortably? I don't want to buy the minimum size tank needed and already be at my max stock level from the start.

EDITED TO ADD: out of curiosity,for a budgeting & floor space perspective, what WOULD be the minimum recommended tank for the list above? 40G?

Also, I know inverts like my shrimp and snails have a relatively small bio-load, but how do you judge how many more can fit in a tank? Is it mostly a floor space and food availability issue? I was thinking about getting some more colorful snails and shrimp (possibly nerites, cherry shrimp, etc) because my daughter is two and likes looking at the various interesting, colorful things in the tank. :) Open to suggestions of other interesting species that are hardy and relatively easy to care for.

Thanks as always for the help and advice!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

55 gallon+ would be good! Although a 75 gallon would be nice if you can find one

The more corys the better, with any schooling and shoaling fish you should try to get the most you can hold.

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't keep cardinals and otos together. Cardinals need warmer water than otos

4. OP
    OP
    BHK3

Oops, I just realized I copied an old version of my list where I accidentally listed them as Cardinals instead of Neons. I'm going to edit the original post now to fix that. Does the school being Neons instead change the temp issue?

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Neons would work with this stock

6. OP
    OP
    BHK3

Phew! Thanks for confirming, and I apologize for the error in my original post!

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I'd say the minimum sized tank for your proposed stocking is a 29g.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice