Reusing stored equipment

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by hssea, Nov 29, 2012.

1. hssea

hssea Well Known Member Member

I got a 10 gallon that's been in friends basement for a year. What's everyone thought about reusing bio-wheel (from a penguin HOB) and colored rock substrate ??

2. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

For the rocks and the filter itself, no issues. Just make sure you properly rinse the rocks out beforehand as well as cleaning the filter out, and the tank.

As for the biowheel, more people will chime in with specifics, but it has been my experience that it's best to at least get a new wheel.

Hope this helps! :)

3. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I've reused all of it many times. I usually rinse everything with bleach solution to be certain no disease is passed along, also this helps to remove any algae residue. Just rinse everything well in clear water, then a final rinse with a double or triple dose of tap water conditioner.

Regarding the bio wheel, if I were sure it came from a healthy tank, I would re-use it. I wouldn't do the bleach rinse, since it may be hard to thoroughly remove the chlorine/chloramines from it, since it is porous. I may just be over cautious on that point though, and it may be fine to bleach it as well. As long as the wheel spins without resistance I think it should be fine.

4. OP
    OP
    hssea

Yes, the tank was healthy. It came from her place of employment and she last used it last November . A fire was in her building (started in roof, tank for on first floor of a 3 floor building) and went down into her classroom...smoke/water damage. Not sure how long it stayed there before they went in and retrived items. I know most everything was thrown out from water damage (sprinkler system).

5. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967 Valued Member Member

Completely off topic but is your avatar a view from your house?Is that a Christmas tree I Spy?

6. OP
    OP
    hssea

Actually I'm standing on my front deck taking the picture, it my neighbors house. And years ago they wanted to cut down that Christmas tree because the branches hand over their deck steps. I talked them out of it ......it's a gorgeous tree that I see out of my window !!! Thank goodness they listen to me....LOL !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice