Reusing Sand? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Rattler11, Jun 24, 2018.

1. R

Rattler11 New Member Member

Hi all!

So I have a couple questions about sand substrate. Before I knew anything about anything with fish, I bought RepTerra sand from Walmart cause I thought sand was sand, and used it in a brackish water fiddler crab tank.

Now that I know a little, I'm curious as to whether this is ok or not to use? I want to change to a freshwater tank now and was planning on washing it out, but I just don't know if this stuff is even acceptable for aquarium use. Not to mention because it was brackish, will washing it be enough to make sure the salt is gone for the freshwater fish? Am I better off just buying new sand out right?

I put a picture of the type of sand it is, and thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

That particular sand will raise your PH because of the calcium carbonate. That may or may not be an issue for you.

I'd personally get new sand without CC in it for freshwater.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Your water hardness will definitely climb too high with calcium carbonate. Play sand would be inert if you don't mind very fine substrate. You'll have to rince it alot before using it. It is very dusty when new.

4. OP
    OP
    R

Rattler11 New Member Member

Wow I didn't realize the hardness was effected, but that makes allot of sense. I was doing allot of cleaning with the fiddler tank, and it always seemed like I was getting hard water stains way faster and I guess I just didn't put 2 an 2 together. Thanks everyone, got rid of the old sand. Did extra searching, and ended up going with blasting sand by black diamond. Really cheap, way more than I needed, doesn't effect pH, took very little cleaning to get it useable and looks amazing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice