Reuse zucchini shrimp don't eat?

fishietank

I was recently feeding my shrimp zucchini and had a question. Since it's a shrimp-only tank, it seems like it would take ages for them to eat the whole zucchini slice. After a few hours, it's not bad to remove the slice that they ate off of and freeze it again to feed to them at a later point? I'm sure it isn't bad, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything foolish.

Also, I don't usually feed my shrimp any sort of fish food or sinking pellets because I'm a little afraid that if they don't eat it all, it might cause some sort of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike or something of the sort. Is this an unfounded concern?

shrimpscaper

How big is your colony and how big is the tank? Are you feeding the zucchini raw or boiling before?

Upvote 0

fishietank

How big is your colony and how big is the tank? Are you feeding the zucchini raw or boiling before?
Currently 13 shrimp in a 5g and I am blanching it prior to feeding.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Leave it overnight, then remove it and toss it.

Upvote 0

Blacksheep1

Or prepare a full one , cut into halves or quarters and freeze it. Then just pull out a chunk and feed that. I’d not want to take it out of the tank freeze and refeed, the decomposition would of already started.

Upvote 0

SparkyJones

in general freezing most vegetables don't work unless they are flash frozen. the freeze and then thaw breaks down the cells and turns it to mush especially if cooked first.

Upvote 0

Blacksheep1

I understand what you’re saying but I beg to disagree. If prepared properly and not boiled too far, most veggies work well. For the ones that do go to mush , the worst offender is actually broccoli in my experience , I use uncooked frozen ones and blanched in water in the microwave. Id not use frozen, blanch then re- freeze though. It works great from fresh for zucchini , kale and green beans . But again, like all fish keeping , it’s all relative and what works for you :)

Upvote 0

fishietank

I understand what you’re saying but I beg to disagree. If prepared properly and not boiled too far, most veggies work well. For the ones that do go to mush , the worst offender is actually broccoli in my experience , I use uncooked frozen ones and blanched in water in the microwave. Id not use frozen, blanch then re- freeze though. It works great from fresh for zucchini , kale and green beans . But again, like all fish keeping , it’s all relative and what works for you :)
Thanks for your input :) so in your experience is it alright to blanch the vegetables and then freeze them for storage and then take out chunks from the freezer and feed the shrimp with them?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
DarkOne
Replies
Views
Shadowfox