Returning To The Hobby And Forum

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by FridayGt, Dec 15, 2018.

1. FridayGt

FridayGtValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    1 year
    Good Morning all! It's been a REALLY long time!

I was first into this hobby and posting on the site several years ago, but had to get out of the hobby as the Military moved me overseas. For those of you that were here back then, I now have a Son! My Bulldog Puppy has also grown up big! I'm back in the States now, however, and am looking at starting back up. I left off with a 125 gallon tank and would like to start back up with at least that size.

I'm in Southern Maryland now and would definitely appreciate any pointers anyone in the area has. I've looked for clubs in the area, but didn't find any. I'll be looking for everything all over again and will need to keep it as cheap as possible. I want to do another planted tank again, but want to do a soil substrate. Maybe one capped with sand or nice carpet plant.

I was thinking about setting up the plants in the tank partially submerged first, maybe to help with the carpet. I have a lot of research to do as it's been a while for me.

2. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,715
    Experience:
    2 years
    Welcome Back. Just a relative "newbie" here, just shy of 2 years. Somewhat successful in my journey of "Wet" pet keeping and "Underwater" gardening so far. Appears you have a plan and have fun researching. I have learned so much from the posts of members "Trials and Tribulations". Learning All the Time.
    Good Luck!

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thank you for your service and welcome back to Fishlore :)

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Welcome back :)

5. OP
    OP
    FridayGt

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    1 year
    What was I thinking, this thread is worthless without pics!!!

I guess it would be fun to add that I'm big into MoPar muscle cars, Jeeps, a little bit of gaming and anything I can do with my Son. 62b8f94b9abea95c71e232413104df4d.2f3fde2070d72d7c3bcb87d0bb85ad1a.032706fe25692feb2b5de7fcb9d15b9f.4656d0abd09d9624f54700f31dac71da.8ef7e487cc1d5e15fe7273204ff2bf4f.d3b0c2e272e4ca706d3c1246f41dc92a.3cefa8c84a100f628bd41d2e1ff32264.ff71f84ccb129061439f1c46e6a2c9cf.da1ed8c034007627e15c53626271c599.

6. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,278
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome back and thank you for your service.
    Best place for equipment cheap will be craigslist. Probably be able to get a whole 125 for under $300. Good luck. Lots of good people here with tons of info ready to answer questions.

7. Wickedfun

WickedfunValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thank you for your service and welcome back! As a fish-keeper on a shoestring budget, Facebook marketplace has been a blessing for me. I have scored some VERY nice tank setups (some with filtration and lights) for less than $1 per gallon. They frequently need a little elbow grease and vinegar to get them cleaned up, but, so far, no bad experiences!!

8. OP
    OP
    FridayGt

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for the tip! I've been looking at Craigslist and trying out OfferUp. So far I've just been mostly finding folks looking to sell whole set-ups that will need to be broken down, cleaned up, fish re-homed before my being able to do what I want with it and they want $600+ for that. I'm just patiently looking and keeping an eye out.

9. OP
    OP
    FridayGt

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'll check that out too! I don't mind a little elbow grease, I think I'm just steering away from the ones right now that want to sell their elbow grease needing set ups for near what I could get a new tank and stand for.

10. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,278
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Not many people buying old tanks. People put them up for big money at first but when they can’t get rid of them and nobody’s calling they give them away. Look at the start dates of the adds and call the ones that have been up for over a month or more. You’ll find a deal. It’s amazing how many people are trying to sell running tanks.

11. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,966
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hello and welcome back! Thank you for your service as well!

Your son is adorable by the way! The bulldog looks like he has a lot of personality too.:D

12. OP
    OP
    FridayGt

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    1 year
    That's a good point, I'll look into that. There's a 210 Gallon Aquarium with stand, lights, hood and everything for $200 in the Bronx! Shame it's a bit of a haul. lol

13. Wickedfun

WickedfunValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    1 year
    I understand that! But as 86 ssinit said, they almost always start high, but are generally pretty easy to bring down into a reasonable range, you just have to ask them if they will take a lower offer. I picked up a 90g drilled salt-water setup with 40 gallon sump, pump, heater and protein skimmer WITH stand and light for under $200. :-D

Become a Fishlore Member