Returning To The Hobby And Forum

FridayGt

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good Morning all! It's been a REALLY long time!

I was first into this hobby and posting on the site several years ago, but had to get out of the hobby as the Military moved me overseas. For those of you that were here back then, I now have a Son! My Bulldog Puppy has also grown up big! I'm back in the States now, however, and am looking at starting back up. I left off with a 125 gallon tank and would like to start back up with at least that size.

I'm in Southern Maryland now and would definitely appreciate any pointers anyone in the area has. I've looked for clubs in the area, but didn't find any. I'll be looking for everything all over again and will need to keep it as cheap as possible. I want to do another planted tank again, but want to do a soil substrate. Maybe one capped with sand or nice carpet plant.

I was thinking about setting up the plants in the tank partially submerged first, maybe to help with the carpet. I have a lot of research to do as it's been a while for me.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome Back. Just a relative "newbie" here, just shy of 2 years. Somewhat successful in my journey of "Wet" pet keeping and "Underwater" gardening so far. Appears you have a plan and have fun researching. I have learned so much from the posts of members "Trials and Tribulations". Learning All the Time.
Good Luck!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome back

OP
FridayGt

FridayGt

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What was I thinking, this thread is worthless without pics!!!

I guess it would be fun to add that I'm big into MoPar muscle cars, Jeeps, a little bit of gaming and anything I can do with my Son.
62b8f94b9abea95c71e232413104df4d.jpg
2f3fde2070d72d7c3bcb87d0bb85ad1a.jpg
032706fe25692feb2b5de7fcb9d15b9f.jpg
4656d0abd09d9624f54700f31dac71da.jpg
8ef7e487cc1d5e15fe7273204ff2bf4f.jpg
d3b0c2e272e4ca706d3c1246f41dc92a.jpg
3cefa8c84a100f628bd41d2e1ff32264.jpg
ff71f84ccb129061439f1c46e6a2c9cf.jpg
da1ed8c034007627e15c53626271c599.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome back and thank you for your service.
Best place for equipment cheap will be craigslist. Probably be able to get a whole 125 for under $300. Good luck. Lots of good people here with tons of info ready to answer questions.

Wickedfun

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for your service and welcome back! As a fish-keeper on a shoestring budget, Facebook marketplace has been a blessing for me. I have scored some VERY nice tank setups (some with filtration and lights) for less than $1 per gallon. They frequently need a little elbow grease and vinegar to get them cleaned up, but, so far, no bad experiences!!

OP
FridayGt

FridayGt

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
86 ssinit said:
Welcome back and thank you for your service.
Best place for equipment cheap will be craigslist. Probably be able to get a whole 125 for under $300. Good luck. Lots of good people here with tons of info ready to answer questions.
Thanks for the tip! I've been looking at Craigslist and trying out OfferUp. So far I've just been mostly finding folks looking to sell whole set-ups that will need to be broken down, cleaned up, fish re-homed before my being able to do what I want with it and they want $600+ for that. I'm just patiently looking and keeping an eye out.

OP
FridayGt

FridayGt

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wickedfun said:
Thank you for your service and welcome back! As a fish-keeper on a shoestring budget, Facebook marketplace has been a blessing for me. I have scored some VERY nice tank setups (some with filtration and lights) for less than $1 per gallon. They frequently need a little elbow grease and vinegar to get them cleaned up, but, so far, no bad experiences!!
I'll check that out too! I don't mind a little elbow grease, I think I'm just steering away from the ones right now that want to sell their elbow grease needing set ups for near what I could get a new tank and stand for.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not many people buying old tanks. People put them up for big money at first but when they can’t get rid of them and nobody’s calling they give them away. Look at the start dates of the adds and call the ones that have been up for over a month or more. You’ll find a deal. It’s amazing how many people are trying to sell running tanks.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome back! Thank you for your service as well!

Your son is adorable by the way! The bulldog looks like he has a lot of personality too.

OP
FridayGt

FridayGt

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
86 ssinit said:
Not many people buying old tanks. People put them up for big money at first but when they can’t get rid of them and nobody’s calling they give them away. Look at the start dates of the adds and call the ones that have been up for over a month or more. You’ll find a deal. It’s amazing how many people are trying to sell running tanks.
That's a good point, I'll look into that. There's a 210 Gallon Aquarium with stand, lights, hood and everything for $200 in the Bronx! Shame it's a bit of a haul. lol

Wickedfun

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FridayGt said:
I'll check that out too! I don't mind a little elbow grease, I think I'm just steering away from the ones right now that want to sell their elbow grease needing set ups for near what I could get a new tank and stand for.
I understand that! But as 86 ssinit said, they almost always start high, but are generally pretty easy to bring down into a reasonable range, you just have to ask them if they will take a lower offer. I picked up a 90g drilled salt-water setup with 40 gallon sump, pump, heater and protein skimmer WITH stand and light for under $200. :-D

New Threads