Returning The Wrong Fish

Crazycoryfishlady

When I first started my 55 I got a small handful of fish to help with the cycle, I used a cycled filter right next to the new non cycled one.

One of those fish I got was a special Panda Molly, we got her from PetSmart.

Two days ago I got more mollies from PetCo to help deal with my aggressive male issue, he would shove my lone female into the wall, trying to spawn.

When I got the mollies, apparently the manager doesn't know how to tell male from female, but honestly I don't blame her for giving me a male, since he did in fact appear female.
He wasn't developed the same way as other males, and still had an analfin looking structure, not a gonopodium.
It was slightly rouded with a thicker edge and a slight point as well, so for a bit I thought he was just an odd female, til one day I saw him flex it like Baron does when he's trying to spawn.

So I got a baggie, and a net, and got to work.

Now
His fins are short, like my females, and the other female is very large and easy to recognize due to her pregnant belly.

Apparently, when the crossed paths, the male made a smooth getaway, and my special female was caught instead.

Looking at the 55 it appeared I got the correct fish because of how similar they are.

I never even checked the bag.

Took her to petco, they floated her, and I picked up a new very golden and large female.

Came home, was acclimating, and was astonished to see the male still in my tank.
I felt so devastated, not only did I bag her and put her in a different store than she came from, but all of it was completely unnecessary and so traumatic I'm sure!
I feel so awful and I hope I can pick her back out from the crowd!!!

I've decided that I will try to work with this feminine male, and I just hope he doesn't get harassed as if he's a female by my aggressive male.

The aggressive male has been getting his own medicine though, apparently my male guppy thinks the molly is the biggest prettiest guppy he's ever seen.

Wish me luck in returning my baby home!

I hope I get her, and I hope she's still there.

Charlie’s Dad

Good luck.....think positive!!!!!

Crazycoryfishlady

Good luck.....think positive!!!!!
I'm optimistic for now!

I don't see mollies and platies sell super fast at this location so I'm pretty hopeful she's there and I can point her out!
I feel so bad about the moving!

Carbeo

You can do it! I had a similar experience with one named alabaster.

Ohio Mark

Good luck!

Crazycoryfishlady

Good luck!
Thanks Mark!

I'm hoping to go soon, but may not be able to get to the store for a few hours unless I take the bus, but on weekends it only runs every hour, and I don't like waiting!
Lol

Crazycoryfishlady

Got here about half an hour ago, gave it a good look, but she's not here....
I'm so upset!
There were two females who were hard to distinguish, but with photos, they didn't match.

I hope she at least got put in a nice big tank like my 55...

Crazycoryfishlady

Going to get a pretty baby betta for my sorority and start of breeding, don't have many nice females around so I have to make my own! Lol

Also getting a peppered cory for my other one, so they can school and not feel so lonely.

She's very active and seems pretty happy.

Attachments

• 1539466744175.jpg
    1539466744175.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 82
  • 1539466759095.jpg
    1539466759095.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 72

Charlie’s Dad

Ahhh.. . I am very sorry for your disappointment... . I trust she is with a good home also

Crazycoryfishlady

Ahhh.. . I am very sorry for your disappointment... . I trust she is with a good home also
Upon watching my tank very closely to assure I didn't give away my female, I've been staring at the thing watching my mollies specifically to just be sure.

Haven't seen the fin move, and compared some photos.
I'm not totally sure, but I'm mostly sure, I did return the male and get a female replacement.
Unfortunately, that replacement passed away during labor it seems, will be getting one soon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
hair_hippie81
  • Question
50 Gallon Tank Splitting mom from babies
Replies
Views
!poogs!
Replies
Views
Taff