Returning Sick Fish To Aquarium

1. K

KERRY CALVERT Initiate Member

My dojo had a bacterial infection that killed 4 of his tankmates when I separated them from the healthy fish into a recovery tank. It was a horrible bacteria that consumed their flesh and attacked their gills.

I treated the principle tank with a fungus control and fortunately none of the fish left in that tank exhibited symptoms. I treated the sick tank with antibiotics (5 days) and the same fungus control. The recovery tank has been running for a week now.

The survivor in the recovery tank is back to normal (except for the tissue damage he suffered), and is not showing any signs of the bacteria infection. But the recovery tank is too small for him and I would like to move him back, but do not want to risk re-introducing the bacteria.

What would be a typical wait time to be sure the survivor is not going to carry that bacteria with him so I can put him back home?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

This is going to be debated, because it depends largely on a keeper's risk tolerance. Some return animals immediately after treatment is completed and some would run a complete 21 day quarentine.

If you can manage at least 7 to 10 days, that would be a happy medium. But let your patient be your guide.