Returning Jack Dempsey and Firemouth to Store

capekate
Well, here it is friday... the day that I have to decide whether I'm bringing my JD and firemouth back to the LFS in exchange for what I was originally intending to get.
Ohh I am so torn up over this. :-\ I just do not know what to do..
I called the LFS, they did not get in any of the GBRs, (maybe next week). But they have about 10 Bolivians in. Which is the other fish I was going to get along with the GBR.
My original plan: 4-5 GBR, 3 Bolivians. to add to the 55g.
1 Angel, 3 Cardinal tetras are in that tank now.
Big problem right now is:
that I am falling in love with this lil JD already I see his personality showing. The firemouth is a gorgeous fish as well. IF I kept them..
1) I would have to move out the 3 cardinals asap.
2) I would have to move out the Angel, as already the JD is bothering it.
3)That would leave a firemouth.. and the JD in the 55g. What else can I keep with them if I did this?

IF I kept them.. It would mean that I cannot get the GBR or Bolivians for that tank, and would only be able to get them for the 29 gallon tank instead. If I kept them, I would finally be able to actually have a few 'large' fish for a change.

Please..... help me make up my mind! The store is open now.. and I know that its going to be a tough job just trying to net these guys to bring back. I feel awful about taking them back after being here for a week and getting comfortable in their new home, just to be bagged and sent back to the store tank. it just seems so unfair to them.

What is my biggest fear on keeping them?
well, I'm afraid they won't get along with any tank mates, and I will end up with either one fish the JD or two fish in that 55g. I'd hate to just keep only two fish in that tank.. where I would be able to have many more different smaller species without the JD or firemouth in there.
My PH is 6.4 and I'm not sure that the firemouth does well in that low PH? Ive done research and get conflicting numbers. Some say they like it 7.0-8 some say, 6.5-7.5

HELLLLLPPPPP please... I'm getting ulcers over this decision! :helpsmilie:

Shawnie
big hugs kate...everyone is going to have a different opinion, but it boils down to your hearts wants...ive been waiting to see what you decide I'm sure you know my opinions lol...goodluck hun!

Allie
If you want the JD then you will have move the other fish. Can Fire mouths & JDs interbreed? Better hope they are the same sex.
I'd get 3 Bolivians for your 29g. I know you want them too so go for it.

capekate
big hugs kate...everyone is going to have a different opinion, but it boils down to your hearts wants...ive been waiting to see what you decide I'm sure you know my opinions lol...goodluck hun!

HI Shawnie..
Thanks... yep I know what you would decide on lol... That JD is quite the character already...

If you want the JD then you will have move the other fish. Can Fire mouths & JDs interbreed? Better hope they are the same sex.
I'd get 3 Bolivians for your 29g. I know you want them too so go for it.

HI Allie
From my research I believe that both the JD and the Firemouth are both males. Already I have seen the 'blowing up' display that the firemouths do with their gills when they feel threatened. Funny I thought something was wrong with it, and the way it would suddenly dart down, when the JD would be near it.The JD was actually trying to take a bite out of the Firemouth! jeesh! and they are both tiny things only about 2inches tops.

Your right about the Bolivians, I can get them for the 29g, but thought they would display so nicely in the better set up that the 55 has, such as nice driftwood, many hiding places etc etc

If I keep the JD and the firemouth.. what other fish can I get to go with them? any other SA or CA cichlids work? Another firemouth?

Ok... Ive come to a decision...
One thing my grandmother always used to say when she gave advice out.
" if you don't know what to do... don't do anything."
So this is what I am thinking...
I'm going to wait on the decision about the JD and the Firemouth at this point, they are ok in the tank. I can move the cardinals to a 29 gallon tank, along with the Angel, just have to figure out which 29 gallon tank it will go in.
I will go and pick up three bolivians, since I have to bring back the two dead turquoise rainbows that cost me almost 18 dollars and use that money to pick up the Bolivians.
Then in a week or so.. I will decide what to do, if I will keep the JD and the Firemouth.. Id love some advice on what fish can go with them at that point, and I will do some research on this as well.
Thanks for all the help... gotta get moving now.. ;D

Allie
HI Allie
From my research I believe that both the JD and the Firemouth are both males. Already I have seen the 'blowing up' display that the firemouths do with their gills when they feel threatened. Funny I thought something was wrong with it, and the way it would suddenly dart down, when the JD would be near it.The JD was actually trying to take a bite out of the Firemouth! jeesh! and they are both tiny things only about 2inches tops.

Your right about the Bolivians, I can get them for the 29g, but thought they would display so nicely in the better set up that the 55 has, such as nice driftwood, many hiding places etc etc

If I keep the JD and the firemouth.. what other fish can I get to go with them? any other SA or CA cichlids work? Another firemouth?

Ok... Ive come to a decision...
One thing my grandmother always used to say when she gave advice out.
" if you don't know what to do... don't do anything."
So this is what I am thinking...
I'm going to wait on the decision about the JD and the Firemouth at this point, they are ok in the tank. I can move the cardinals to a 29 gallon tank, along with the Angel, just have to figure out which 29 gallon tank it will go in.
I will go and pick up three bolivians, since I have to bring back the two dead turquoise rainbows that cost me almost 18 dollars and use that money to pick up the Bolivians.
Then in a week or so.. I will decide what to do, if I will keep the JD and the Firemouth.. Id love some advice on what fish can go with them at that point, and I will do some research on this as well.
Thanks for all the help... gotta get moving now.. ;D

capekate
Thanks for the link Allie
I checked it out and it looks like I may try the convicts in with the JD and Firemouth..
but for now.. its off to go get those bolivians...
thanks again, ~ kate

Shawnie
Goodluck kate...wish we were closer, I got a ton of convict eggs...still waiting on them to hatch

capekate
Well... I'm back from the fish store. WOW they have a lot of great fish to choice from!
Thanks for the offer Shawnie.. That would have been great for the future plans I know have for the 55.
I saw the convicts there and was ready to pick up three of them, but decided to look around first. I saw Jewel Cichlids, but they were all females, even tho they were beautiful. So I changed my mind on the convicts and picked up two Jewels instead.
I was surprised to see that the bolivians were going for 8.99 each, so I just picked up two of those. The convicts and the Jewels were going for 2.99 each, which I do not know what they usually go for, but thought that was a great price.
At the moment they are being acclimatized sitting in their bags in the tanks. The two Jewels are going in the 55 and the two Bolivians are going into the 29 where I have a Discus and an Angel fish. I plan on moving the two rainbows over to the tank where the other lone Discus is by itself.
Considering that I'm going to have to move the cardinal tetras and possibly the angelfish that are in the 55 tank at some point, I may have not done the best thing by picking up the two Bolivians.. but we will see.
So the end result is that I plan on keeping in the 55, the JD, Firemouth and two Jewels.
Just wanted to let you know what I ended up with... and now I'm going to go and add some more plants and rocks to each tank.
;D ( and do some research on the Jewels..)

Shawnie
would love to see the pics of jewels...never heard of them ...hope everything works well kate!

capekate
I will take pics asap... But ive been doing some research.. and I'm afraid that I have African cichlids... They are called hemichromis- Muanda. Ohhh noooo..
I do know that Africans and SA or CA cichlids should not be housed together.
Ohh man.... what did I do?
Hopefully Allie will be able to give me some insight on this.. I can't take them back! uggh.... I shouldve known.. and just went with the convicts like I was going tooooo....
:-\

Shawnie asked what the Jewels look like. So I took a few photos. Will take more tomorrow when they calm down some. JD likes to chase them around...and they are bigger than he is.

Shawnie
wow beautiful ...thank you for taking the time to take some pics......sorry for your dilema...I'm sure allie will be able to help ...

COBettaCouple
Beautiful!

capekate
Thanks Shawnie and Dave,
they are all doing good so far. They are all pretty much the same size and can defend themselves against each other when the need arises. they have plenty of hiding places, under rock caves, behind driftwood and bunches of plants, so its just a chase here and there and doesn't last long.
They are all cool fish... and I am enjoying watching the interactions. ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Ed204
Replies
Views
jhilde