Returned To The Hobby

1. Robert Fletcher Initiate Member

Greetings, I have returned to the hobby after 50+ years and WOW! how things have changed, I wonder if for the better.
    I last kept tropicals along with 3 other friends when I was living in Sydney Australia in the 1970’s. I now am back in the UK.
    Back then we knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle the only diagnostics we used was Ph. Filtering was under the gravel and a air driven over the back filter that was fantastic. I and my friends never had any losses of fish. The only additive we used was a bottle of ?Mangrove Extract. Does anyone know this? It was fantastic as that is what I but down to having good stable tank.
    Now everything has changed and I am having to get used to the modern way which to be honest seems more complicated.
    I have a 110 litre (30 USG) tank with no fish just introducing plants. It has a in tank canister filter by Juwel and I don’t feel comfortable with it but I am willing to learn to live with it.

Robert...

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, I remember those days too & yes things have changed a lot since then.
    Our members will be only too happy to help & answer any questions you may have, welcome back to the hobby :)

3. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Welcome ! I had a juwel tank with the filter your describing they are great filters, the best internal out there does it have this inside it c44bdb5ad6bc944b3c8efd020e35d79f.jpg if its that one you have a good one you can do some great stuff with it! Anyway welcome !

4. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Welcome! So happy to have you here! :)

5. Robert Fletcher Initiate Member

That's made feel a wee bit better. Mine is similar, from the bottom, blue fine sponge then green nitrate sponge, carbon sponge and then filter wool pad. From what I have been reading I would like to replace the blue and green sponges with ceramic biomass rings. Also the carbon sponge looks inadequate and most people seem to throw them out.

6. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Yes everyone only really uses carbon for soaking up meds or sometimes soaking up tannins, that juwel internal filter is the only one id ever use on its own, especially in a tank your size they are great. The good thing is its just a big plastic container which has a good motor on, you can do what ever you want with a bit of logical thinking i used pond sponges in mine cut to size going from coarse to medium to fine then my rings then some floss. The pic i showed you is from when i got my canister filter and the internal just became a water polisher.

7. James17 Well Known Member Member

Welcome back to the very frustrating, sometimes infuriating, and usually very satisfying hobby.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to Fishlore!

9. Robert Fletcher Initiate Member

I never knew it was frustrating until now. Thanks for the welcome.

Thank you. I have been trying to get answers to my numerious questions by Google. Most answers came from Fishlore so I though I had better join..

10. Natalya Initiate Member

My brother kept fish in Russia when I was really little. It was against every rule of fishkeeping! It was like 10 liter bucket-shaped thing, it housed probably 20 different fishes, he had no filter, he changed like 90% of water every 2 weeks using tap water which just been allowed to stand overnight, because we had such levels of chlorination that it was practically like soda when straight out of tap, only with a smell that would knock out a horse. There was no fish chemicals period. No tests. No knowledge of nitrogen cycle. No vacuum. Those fish must have been bred to be superfish to survive in Russian fish tanks.

11. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I started up with fish in the 80s/90s as a kid, and I find it much easier nowadays! Not sure if I've just learned more, or the equipment truly is better, but I find it much simpler and easier to maintain a tank than I did years ago. Undergravel filters were a pain...

12. Robert Fletcher Initiate Member

Well Russians are tough. As a child I had a goldfish in a bowl. I remember in the summer the water would heat up loose O2 and the fish would loat in the surface. My mother would grab the bowl and put it inder the cold water tap. Surprising it always brought the fish back.

13. Robert Fletcher Initiate Member

Grantm91 you have made me feel so much better about my filter. Now is the time to set it up before fish are added. If I add some ceramic rings then the filter floss would I really need the sponge. The mechanical filtering would be done by the floss and the ceramic rings take are of the bacteria. That was leave the only maintenance generally needed would be replacement of the floss. It is sort of going back to what we used to do and avoid the disturbance of the culture. Or am I thinking wrong?

14. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

No you are correct,but i find using sponges going from coarse to fine then to floss keeps everything cleaner for longer, to be honest the way i set that filter up i cleaned the bio media once in the year i had it because the staged mechanical filtering with the mix of sponges then the floss extracted and held the actual solid waste so well down to the smallest particle the bio media only ever met clear water. I love low maintenance things and good mechanical filtration means less maintenance for me any way. I only open my canisters once every 3 month but i reckon even every 6 or 7 months would work. I learnt on that filter it taught me a lot as it was easy to look inside all the time when i first got in to fish.