Returned Some Fish. Need Advice For New Stock

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I returned 5 of my Sterbai Corydoras and my Albino BN Pleco. The Sterbai were not doing well, never did since I got them, they came from a bad batch, and the driftwood was not working in my tank so I can't have a Pleco without driftwood.

I really want a school or a few small bright colored Tetras or something similar. I want to make sure they are compatible with my other fish and my tank parameters so any and all ideas/advice are welcome.

My current stock- 29 gal tank.
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Female Platy
    13 Pygmy Corydoras
    4 Sterbai Corydoras
    Amano Shrimp

I plan on getting 2 more Sterbai if they have some healthy ones tomorrow.

Water parameters.
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5
    Ph 7.2
    Kh 7
    Gh 10

I am really hoping to get some Chili Rasboras if they have them, but if not I would love some other suggestions. TIA!

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would add 2 more Platies 2 more Corys, and Chili Rasboras would be fine IMO.

3. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would do as @goplecos said but if no Chilli Rasboras how about, CPDs, Green Neon Tetras, Normans Lampeyes, Lambchop Rasboras, Harlequin Rasboras, or Threadfin Rainbowfish.

4. OP
    OP
    O

I actually don't want any more Platys. The female I have is the only one I kept after selling all my others cause she is a sweetheart. She will be the last Platy I have for quite awhile.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at all of those and see what might be available near me. I really like CPDs, but wasn't sure if they would be good in my set up. Glad to know they should be alright.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I think the chilli rasboras would be great. If you can't get them - I second the lambchop or harlequin rasbora suggestion - very underrated fish IMO (they look great once they've settled in - nice black with pink and copper hues).

6. OP
    OP
    O

I honestly really like Harlequin Rasboras, but I wasn't sure if they would pick on the Pygmy Corys or not. They get to about 1.5 - 2in. right?

7. Lance0414

Harlequins and Lambchops are completely peaceful if kept in a proper school, if not kept in a proper school they will either fin nip or hide all the time.

8. OP
    OP
    O

That is great to know. I just looked up Lambchops and they actually have those at the store I like to go to. They just have them under a different name. I think they are gorgeous!

How many of the CPDs, Harlequins or Lambchops should I get? I was thinking 8 would be a good number but maybe more?

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

8-10 is what I'd do of harlequins or lampchops, if you did CPDs you could do 12.

10. OP
    OP
    O

Well if they don't have the Chili Rasboras (which is very possible) I will get some Lamb Chop Rasboras. They catch my eye every time I go in to look.
    Thanks everyone!

11. OP
    OP
    O

They also have Purple Rasboras at the store with the Lamb Chop Rasboras. I really like the look of them, but I can't find much on their size. The only thing I found says they stay small like 1 in. max.

Could I do 6 Lamb Chop and 6 Purple Rasboras? Or would it be better to keep just one larger school?

12. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I have 11 lamp chops and really like them, they have awesome orange color when comfortable.. I have seen Harlequin rasboras advertised as purple rasboras, they get bigger!

13. OP
    OP
    O

14. OP
    OP
    O

The Threadfin Rainbow fish are awesome! Unfortunately I have never seen them in any of the stores I have near me. If they don't have healthy stock tomorrow I'll probably just order online again and then maybe I could get some. It's gonna be so hard to choose which ones to get now!

15. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

16. OP
    OP
    O

Sorry I was reading about so many that I got them confused. It was another site that said they were smaller, but I'll take your word for it. ;)
    Guess that helps me narrow down my selection again. I really wanna go with smaller Tetras if possible, but if not I do love the Harlequins. Guess I'll just have to see what really stands out to me tomorrow.

17. OP
    OP
    O

I went to the store and found some amazing fish, but I could only get 4 Lamb Chop Rasboras. Think they'll be ok for a bit till I can find more to get?

18. OP
    OP
    O

Also in case I can't find more for awhile what are some other fish I could keep them with?

19. Lance0414

I would say the Lambchops will be ok until you get more and i think it would be neat to have both Lambchops and Harlequins.

20. OP
    OP
    O

I wondered about that. I didn't know if they'd school together or not. I can get Harlequins anytime.