Returned Some Fish. Need Advice For New Stock

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Over It, Aug 1, 2017.

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I returned 5 of my Sterbai Corydoras and my Albino BN Pleco. The Sterbai were not doing well, never did since I got them, they came from a bad batch, and the driftwood was not working in my tank so I can't have a Pleco without driftwood.

I really want a school or a few small bright colored Tetras or something similar. I want to make sure they are compatible with my other fish and my tank parameters so any and all ideas/advice are welcome.

My current stock- 29 gal tank.
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Female Platy
    13 Pygmy Corydoras
    4 Sterbai Corydoras
    Amano Shrimp

I plan on getting 2 more Sterbai if they have some healthy ones tomorrow.

Water parameters.
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5
    Ph 7.2
    Kh 7
    Gh 10

I am really hoping to get some Chili Rasboras if they have them, but if not I would love some other suggestions. TIA!

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would add 2 more Platies 2 more Corys, and Chili Rasboras would be fine IMO.

3. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would do as @goplecos said but if no Chilli Rasboras how about, CPDs, Green Neon Tetras, Normans Lampeyes, Lambchop Rasboras, Harlequin Rasboras, or Threadfin Rainbowfish.

4. OP
    OP
    O

I actually don't want any more Platys. The female I have is the only one I kept after selling all my others cause she is a sweetheart. She will be the last Platy I have for quite awhile.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at all of those and see what might be available near me. I really like CPDs, but wasn't sure if they would be good in my set up. Glad to know they should be alright.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I think the chilli rasboras would be great. If you can't get them - I second the lambchop or harlequin rasbora suggestion - very underrated fish IMO (they look great once they've settled in - nice black with pink and copper hues).

6. OP
    OP
    O

I honestly really like Harlequin Rasboras, but I wasn't sure if they would pick on the Pygmy Corys or not. They get to about 1.5 - 2in. right?

7. Lance0414

Harlequins and Lambchops are completely peaceful if kept in a proper school, if not kept in a proper school they will either fin nip or hide all the time.

8. OP
    OP
    O

That is great to know. I just looked up Lambchops and they actually have those at the store I like to go to. They just have them under a different name. I think they are gorgeous!

How many of the CPDs, Harlequins or Lambchops should I get? I was thinking 8 would be a good number but maybe more?

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

8-10 is what I'd do of harlequins or lampchops, if you did CPDs you could do 12.

10. OP
    OP
    O

Well if they don't have the Chili Rasboras (which is very possible) I will get some Lamb Chop Rasboras. They catch my eye every time I go in to look.
    Thanks everyone!

11. OP
    OP
    O

They also have Purple Rasboras at the store with the Lamb Chop Rasboras. I really like the look of them, but I can't find much on their size. The only thing I found says they stay small like 1 in. max.

Could I do 6 Lamb Chop and 6 Purple Rasboras? Or would it be better to keep just one larger school?

12. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I have 11 lamp chops and really like them, they have awesome orange color when comfortable.. I have seen Harlequin rasboras advertised as purple rasboras, they get bigger!

13. OP
    OP
    O

These are the fish I am referring to.  

They might have a different name, but I have no idea what it is. Are they basically the same as Harlequin Rasboras?

14. OP
    OP
    O

The Threadfin Rainbow fish are awesome! Unfortunately I have never seen them in any of the stores I have near me. If they don't have healthy stock tomorrow I'll probably just order online again and then maybe I could get some. It's gonna be so hard to choose which ones to get now!

15. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Yes.
    Purple Harlequin Rasbora - Trigonostigma heteromorpha

The article you linked said they grow up to 5 cm which is roughly 2 inches. Lamp chops are smaller.

16. OP
    OP
    O

Sorry I was reading about so many that I got them confused. It was another site that said they were smaller, but I'll take your word for it. ;)
    Guess that helps me narrow down my selection again. I really wanna go with smaller Tetras if possible, but if not I do love the Harlequins. Guess I'll just have to see what really stands out to me tomorrow.

17. OP
    OP
    O

I went to the store and found some amazing fish, but I could only get 4 Lamb Chop Rasboras. Think they'll be ok for a bit till I can find more to get?

18. OP
    OP
    O

Also in case I can't find more for awhile what are some other fish I could keep them with?

19. Lance0414

I would say the Lambchops will be ok until you get more and i think it would be neat to have both Lambchops and Harlequins.

20. OP
    OP
    O

I wondered about that. I didn't know if they'd school together or not. I can get Harlequins anytime.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice