Question Returned some fish and wonding on stock levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirNoob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi All,

We have recently started our first tank. It is 183cm Long X 46cm Wide X 61cm High.

We have:
2 Silver Sharks
6 Clown Loaches
1 Red Jewel
2 BristleNose
We have had these fish for about two weeks now. And am wondering if our stock levels are reasonable.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi SirNoob, If I haven't said it before, Welcome to Fishlore! Thats a fairly hefty stocking list, although from your measurements it looks like you have a pretty big tank, aroung 125gallons? Personally I would say that your tank is not big enough for the Silver Sharks and Clown Loaches once they are fully grown. I'd say these fish would need somewhere in the region of 250gallons to live to their full potential. In saying that however, your tank is certainly not tiny, and there will be no issues for a while with growth problems, as the fish will have plenty of space for now. Clown Loaches grow very slowly too, it takes them a few years to get anywhere near full size. Your Jewel Cichlid and BN Plecs will do fine in a 125gal. You may want to look at rehoming your fish in a few years, or maybe get a bigger tank, but for the forseeable future they should be very happy in a tank that size.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
The Bala (silver) sharks prefer to be in schools of at least five. In addition, they are ridiculously active fish. As such, they need to be in huge tanks.
Clown loaches are very similar, though to a lesser extent. They make up for this by growing scary large.
I would personally return all of the Bala sharks and clown loaches. There are loaches similar to the clowns that will do much better in a tank the size of the one you have. There are also some corydoras that grow to be pretty big, and could be a good bottom feeder in your tank. Their antics are similar to loaches' though a bit more understated.
All of the fish will do okay for awhile in your tank, but if you stock it properly now, you'll get to watch the fish grow into the tank, until you can't remember them being the tiny guys you bought at the petstore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom