Return Water Problem

Cyclone@303

I just started a 90 gallon setup that I got from a friend. With it is an Eshopps RS-100 sump and he had an Aqueon Quietflow Submersible Pump. The siphon is working well and the water is flowing through the sump. The return pump seems to work too well. I cannot get the water level to remain at the "Water Level" line on the sump. It is well below the line and basically drains as much as it can. I have tried reducing the flow rate on the pump with no success. Does anyone have any advice? Do I need a new pump? Am I missing something very simple? When I initially started up the tank it ran for a number of days with the line slightly below the marked line. Now it drains all the way down in a few minutes. If you need any additional info on the setup please let me know.

SecretiveFish

Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but is it possible this is just due to evaporation? If you add RO/DI water (not salt water), will the water level in the sump stay stable while you are watching it?

Cyclone@303

Thank you for the reply. After trying a few different things I think you are correct. I live in Colorado and it is very dry here (well under 20% humidity) so evaporation tends to happen faster. I do have an RO/DI system so I will have plenty of available replacement water. It looks like I will just have to add a little bit every day or so to keep that level adequate. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something else.

SecretiveFish

Ok, good! You may want to look into setting up an auto top off system if this becomes too cumbersome for you.

Sometimes our 40B tanks evaporates out 2 gallons of water a day. I have freaked out thinking there was a leak... Nope, the air was just really dry that particular day.

Cyclone@303

I looked at some of those systems. The tank set up was free from a friend and there are some items I want to upgrade in the not too distant future (lighting, etc.). I think I can deal with making a habit of adding a little water each day or so. Since I have an RO/DI system I can plenty of availability. My $ can go to more important items. Thanks again for the reply!

bigdreamsinreef

SecretiveFish said:
Ok, good! You may want to look into setting up an auto top off system if this becomes too cumbersome for you.

Sometimes our 40B tanks evaporates out 2 gallons of water a day. I have freaked out thinking there was a leak... Nope, the air was just really dry that particular day.

I also have a 210g reef setup with a 40 gallon sump and no lids with 2 250w MH lights. And have lost as much as 5-7 gallons a day during the dry hot summer days... (northern Cali). Typically averages around 3 to 4 gallons of loss per day due to evaporation. You’d be surprised how quickly it can evaporate though.

Cyclone@303

bigdreamsinreef said:
I also have a 210g reef setup with a 40 gallon sump and no lids with 2 250w MH lights. And have lost as much as 5-7 gallons a day during the dry hot summer days... (northern Cali). Typically averages around 3 to 4 gallons of loss per day due to evaporation. You’d be surprised how quickly it can evaporate though.
Thanks for the reply. It does evaporate fast. Overall it slowed down a bit. I'm wondering if part of the initial was the dry rock sucking up some of the water. I have to add about a half gallon per day. So glad that I have the RO/DI system to make my own top off water.

rsumner

I live in TX and notice that during the winter months I’ll loose a gallon a day in my little 20 gallon tank. I need to get my ATO fixed!

stella1979

This thread makes me glad I live in humid FL.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom