Return to the tank!!!!

sp4ngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, I love helping with stock. What fish do you like? What colors? What substrate will you have?
I will have a plant friendly substrate with a black gravel top layer, I really like Corydoras and anything bright, I want to have a lot of things to look at with some interesting personalities, maybe a single or pair of feature fish like Kribs or gouramis or a large shoal. Some shrimps would be nice too and maybe a small plec depending on room. I've never kept snails before or any type of larger 4" feature fish, so it would be good to have some advice.

I wouldn't soften the water with chemicals. It'll be bad for the fish. If you're looking to naturally soften your water you can add some Malaysian driftwood and/or peat moss to your filter. But these only soften the water a tad bit and won't be noticeable. To really have soft water either invest in your own RODI unit or you can buy them from stores.

Since you only have a 20g long. Doing 10g weekly water changes with RODI water and rodi water being about 5 cents a gallon. You would be spending $2 a month for that. But it's all up to you. I would contact the store you're buying fish from and ask. Most captive bred fishes are raised in medium to hard water.

For tank mates I would suggest sparkling gourami, Cardinal tetras, CPD's, ember tetras and some (optional) top dwelling fish like a gardneri killi.

Canister filters aren't difficult at all. You just need some media and you're all set. If you're looking into purchasing a canister I suggest the Eheim 2215 or 2217 although I feel like the 2217 will have too much flow. If you're into DIY project you can attach a ball valve to the return so you can control the flow. I suggested 2217 because it's bigger and you can put more media. But if you're gonna be doing a weekly or bi weekly water change then the 2215 is fine. If you don't wanna use a canister I would look into the Aqua Clear HOB's.

For a low tech planted tank you don't really need ferts however you might need to dose excel if algae starts to grow. What light are you thinking of using? My roommate has a 22g long and is about 40" long and it's a high tech tank. He uses two T5ho bulbs (one 6500k and one 10000k). He still experienced algae so now he just reduced it to 1 6500k bulb and the plants are still doing great.
I have the light that came with the tank, I have no idea what it is but will update when I find out. RODI does seem expensive in the long run, and as my area is mainly hard water it should mean that my LFS is too, would this be harmful to the fish in the long run or would they have acclimated to it from fry?

Tank mates look good, sparkling gouramis are definitely going to be researched.
Thank you.

Maeve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Your inert black gravel will be fine for a low tech tank. You'll want root tabs for the crypts and vals.

Excel can stunt or melt vals, so if you go that route, start at a smaller dose and adjust up slowly. Keeping your anubias in an area with good water flow (they tend to collect algae first) and keeping the tank away from direct sunlight will go pretty far in mitigating algae without excel.

Live bearers LOVE hard water. You could do all BUT mollies as the tank is too small for even one.

Other suggestions: Bolivian rams (one)
Or honey gourami (3)
Or dwarf gourami (one)

With a school of smaller fish.

Edited to add: When you narrow down what you're interested in, making a post in the aquarium stocking section will net you a few more answers.

blakeugan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will have a plant friendly substrate with a black gravel top layer, I really like Corydoras and anything bright, I want to have a lot of things to look at with some interesting personalities, maybe a single or pair of feature fish like Kribs or gouramis or a large shoal. Some shrimps would be nice too and maybe a small plec depending on room. I've never kept snails before or any type of larger 4" feature fish, so it would be good to have some advice.

I have the light that came with the tank, I have no idea what it is but will update when I find out. RODI does seem expensive in the long run, and as my area is mainly hard water it should mean that my LFS is too, would this be harmful to the fish in the long run or would they have acclimated to it from fry?

Tank mates look good, sparkling gouramis are definitely going to be researched.
Thank you.
Ok, so you like corys?
So far, you could do
6 albino corys
1.dwarf gourami
I don't know about kribs if it's smaller t than 20.
(Some type of schooling fish)

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, so you like corys?
So far, you could do
6 albino corys
1.dwarf gourami
I don't know about kribs if it's smaller t than 20.
(Some type of schooling fish)
Agree, but do 8-10 albino cories. That will really be nice! I have 12 and I always see 8 or more swimming at mid lvl just swimming. The more the better.

sp4ngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Agree, but do 8-10 albino cories. That will really be nice! I have 12 and I always see 8 or more swimming at mid lvl just swimming. The more the better.
Ive got an idea now, an all albino tank excluding the feature fish, so a school of albino corys then a school of albino tetras/small schooling fish then gouramis or other bright coloured feature fish!!! To stand out against black gravel and green plants. Thanks for all your help, once I've set up I'll create a new post with stock list, plants, and equipment along with progress!! Should be soon.

blakeugan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ive got an idea now, an all albino tank excluding the feature fish, so a school of albino corys then a school of albino tetras/small schooling fish then gouramis or other bright coloured feature fish!!! To stand out against black gravel and green plants. Thanks for all your help, once I've set up I'll create a new post with stock list, plants, and equipment along with progress!! Should be soon.
They have albino tiger barbs

cjbart1009

Valued Member
Reaction score
The fish would've been acclimated to hard water unless they use RODI water. If you like cory cats can I suggest Pygmy cories? Since you will start with a 20g I think smaller fish would be better.

For a centerpiece fish I would stay away from a pair of kribs. A pair will take over a 20g easily and would harm the other fish if they decide to spawn. How about a pair of Bolivian Rams instead?

Instead of a pleco maybe you can do a school of about 6-10 oto cats. I have about 25 in my tank. I feed them blanched peas and zucchini 2-3 times a week. I also give them algae wafers once a week. But if you do really want a pleco then you can go for a Bristlenose pleco.

You should try this stocking if the fish are accessible to you.

5 sparkling gouramis
Pair of Bolivian Rams
1 Bristlenose pleco or a school of oto cats
6-10 Corydoras Pygmaeus and / or habrosus.
A school of 8-10 ember tetras
Since you also like shrimp you can do Amano shrimp.

sp4ngel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The fish would've been acclimated to hard water unless they use RODI water. If you like cory cats can I suggest Pygmy cories? Since you will start with a 20g I think smaller fish would be better.

For a centerpiece fish I would stay away from a pair of kribs. A pair will take over a 20g easily and would harm the other fish if they decide to spawn. How about a pair of Bolivian Rams instead?

Instead of a pleco maybe you can do a school of about 6-10 oto cats. I have about 25 in my tank. I feed them blanched peas and zucchini 2-3 times a week. I also give them algae wafers once a week. But if you do really want a pleco then you can go for a Bristlenose pleco.

5 sparkling gouramis
Pair of Bolivian Rams
that stock sounds awesome, definitely one to consider!! Thank you

blakeugan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

5 sparkling gouramis
Pair of Bolivian Rams
I personally think 2 schools of bottom dwellers (Otos and Corys) is too much for a tank that size. If you're still doing te albino theme

8 albino Corys
8 albino tiger barbs
(Some sort of centerpiece?)

AlexJames0863

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi there sp4ngel. Glad to hear you are jumping back into the hobby! Just a quick warning on kuhli loaches. I thought my filter was secure enough for them but I lost 3 over the course of a week and couldn't find where they got into my filter from. Turns our there was a tiny little hole by the wire entrance that was also an intake. Kuhlis make a great addition to any tank but just make sure you check, double check and triple check there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY a kuhli loach could get in. If you have your doubts, cover it up. If you see a hole, cover it up. Just my advice, good luck with your new tank!
~Mudkipz

cjbart1009

Valued Member
Reaction score
I personally think 2 schools of bottom dwellers (Otos and Corys) is too much for a tank that size. If you're still doing te albino theme

8 albino Corys
8 albino tiger barbs
(Some sort of centerpiece?)
Otos aren't necessarily bottom dwellers. They don't search the bottom of the tank for food. I have both on my tank and they coexist fine. But if you're going for an albino theme then skip the Pygmy cory and otos.

Maybe lessen the albino cory to 6 and replace the albino tiger barbs with albino glow light tetras since you do want an albino theme. Tiger barbs may stress out other fish since they are fin nippers. As for a centerpiece fish, maybe a pair of captive bred gold Rams. I know these aren't albino but they're kinda in the same color scheme and they stay small. They also wouldn't be as vicious as the kribs.

Maeve

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do a pleco, even a smaller pleco like a bn, in a twenty. I kept a juvie bn in my twenty temporarily and saw my nitrates double in three days.

6+ otos would be fine after you've planted and cycled. I'd wait until the diatom algae bloom so they can feast! The babies sold are hangry.

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
To reiterate for everyone in this thread the tank is 15gal not 20gal. Just saying so we don't advise an incorrect stocking

cjbart1009

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree with Maeve. Just make sure the tank is cycled because most otos are wild caught and are very sensitive when they get into the store. When I buy otos I ask the shop what day they get their stock and I wait maybe 3-4 days before I buy the otos. This will help weed out the once that are about to die because of the stress from travel.

cjbart1009

Valued Member
Reaction score
15g won't do it for the albino Cory specially with a school of 8. Unless the footprint has a lot of length and width but I wouldn't think so in a 15g.

octavio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My two cents: I have a long 20 gallon (75.7 litre) tank with four albino cories running around in it. I would love to have a couple more, but it's obvious four is about right. Any more and the nitrates builds up fast. This is also the tank that I put female livebearers in, separated from males, to have their fry. After which I move the females back to their own sorority tank. If I were to make it an albino fish tank I'd probably go with Mexican tetras (blind cave fish) or white skirt tetras. The skirt tetras have the same bossy attitude as tiger barbs. The Mexican tetras can also be a bit nippy, even though they are blind. But albino cories are rarely bothered by either. For happier fish it would be better to get five or six white (albino) danios. They have both short and long fin varieties these days. And they are much more active than any tetra, plus they don't bother other fish. But the bio load is something to be very conscientious about. Cories really do better in aquariums with large foot prints. So, tanks higher than16 inches are tanks I avoid putting them in. They really enjoy lots of space. And if they get it, they'll school/shoal together much better and be much more active. Good luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom