Return pump suggestions

Cerberusfish

Reaction score
I'm about to set up a 14 gallon cube tank to replace my 10 and want to build a sump for it. But I need a good return pump that won't be super strong and that's also good quality. Preferably DC but not too picky on AC or DC

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some suggestions today

OP
C

Cerberusfish

Reaction score
Coradee said:
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some suggestions today
Thanks! It seems most people don't do a sump for a small freshwater tank so it's hard to find a good one with low enough flow.

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello. I am about to be in the market for a pump as well. Although, it will be to pump from the tank not to return it, but same thing. Have you had any luck researching?
and what kind of turn-over are you looking for?

OP
C

Cerberusfish

Reaction score
What are you pumping water out of the tank for? If it's to equip a sump (or many other purposes) and you can't drain the tank or otherwise for drilling, I would just get an over the back overflow. King of diy on YouTube even has a video on how to make one but I wouldn't use that unless it's for largely non but purposes. So far research has been mostly put on hold as on trying to fast track figuring out some upgrades to my 75 gallon reef, but I'm looking for somewhere between 5-10 times tank turnover per hours. Maybe a little more but that's where a nice DC pump comes in for tuning that a bit. The seltz D 500 by hydor is a promising option as I should be able to turn it down to my desired flow rate. Not to mention on my 75 I have the seltz d 1000 and really enjoy it.

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am planning on running single or dual aquaponic sump trays above the tank at a window ledge. It/They will also ideally house the heaters so the tank itself has less in it. Pump to the sumps and overflow back to the tank so if the pump ever stops it won't over-fill the tank. So your target would be 150gph, mine would be 200 for 10 times/hour for my 20 Long. I read in another post that someone was recommending Marineland Maxijet series pumps for a similar purpose. I haven't start researching yet but I'll keep the Seltz D in mind.

As far as AC/DC, is there a large difference in DC vs AC motors as far as pumps go? I would assume most pumps come with an internal power adapters to power DC pumps more than would come with AC motors?

OP
C

Cerberusfish

Reaction score
That's actually a really neat idea! And AC pumps in general are going to be a little less expensive and a bit more powerful. However they can be loud and are pretty much off/on without other options. Pumps like the seltz d that are DC tend to be more expensive to get the same amount of power, but are quieter and adjustable. So for now example on my tank I like having a lot of flow so I keep it max power. But sometimes when adding new fish or corals or of I'm doing something specific like working on the sump I'll turn it down to relax things a bit while livestock gets accustomed to the layout or raise the water level in my return chamber. Personally I prefer DC in practice but there are definite benefits to both.

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think so! I am torn between a single sump so I don't have to split the lines and buy twice as much for the sump trays, but I always enjoy having redundancy and so two trays means 1 can fail and I would be fine. It's for me office I'm still renovating. Anyways, I think the flow control would be great if I get one that provides more gph than I need. Otherwise I don't mind the added power from AC because it's probably going to need 2-3 ft worth of lift.

Anyways, I'll let you know what I end up with. It's hard to filter though most of the run-of-the-mill imported pumps on amazon/ebay. Nice to meet you.

OP
C

Cerberusfish

Reaction score
You could potentially have 2 pumps and then plumb them together connecting into one line, using check valves to ensure if one fails the other doesn't just send water backwards through it. May not be the best option but it's a thought. Nice meeting you as well! You may want to try looking at websites like bulk reef supply and marine Depot to see some of the nicer options, then once you figure out what you want search for a deal on it as well.

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just looked up your Hydor suggestion, dude that thing is BEAST. lol. It's a lot more pump than I was thinking. And the controller is pretty neat!

They look a little dated but the Lifeguard Quiet One 1200 would fit the bill for me. It's about $21 and had the head push needed and then some. Also has an MPT intake and can be run dry so I can use it as more of an inline than in the tank itself. I am having a hard time imagining how to hide these pumps. I feel like you'd need to a 3 section slotted wall to cover it in a corner and cover that with decor to hide it.

OP
C

Cerberusfish

Reaction score
I was asked a couple days ago why I have all these hydor pumps around instead of saving up for one of the "nicer" more expensive options. Well now you know why haha. Plus their products are affordable. Idk how much you have built it's possible you could build a chamber behind the aquaponics with some sort of grate or slits for water movement to hide it. Or even just adding a plate in front of your plumbing to cover it. Do you have pictures of anything or is it all still in the planning phase?

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Planning phase due to budget constraints. Although I do have a tendency to sketch out projects, especially for woodworking. I'll have to try and sketch this out a little bit. It's been trying not being able to freely walk around stores, browsing for items that would work for the design.

OP
C

Cerberusfish

Reaction score
Definitely post pics of the design! Yeah everything going on has made this hobby a little less comfortable for those of us that like to constantly improve or build new things

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cerberusfish said:
Definitely post pics of the design! Yeah everything going on has made this hobby a little less comfortable for those of us that like to constantly improve or build new things
This was my first sketch, haven't made a better one yet. Although the plans may change because I'm working on changing the sump into more of a desktop style waterfall if I can. It may mean slightly veering away from as many plants in there but we'll see.
IMG_20200418_124118795.jpg

New Threads