Return Pump Suggestion

stiggy614

Can anyone recommend me a return pump? 1 inch bulkhead to the sump, 20 gallon sump, 3/4 inch return plumbing. What would be a good GPH rating? The sump is about 4ft lower than the top of the display tank. I will be installing ball valves on the return plumbing to regulate flow back to the tank. Where would be a good website to buy one? thank you in advance!

cerianthus

What size tank and is this RR (built in internal over flow) or External Overflow Box?
I am assuming tank has 1" bulkhead to drain water to sump. Hooked up Mag 7 (700 GPH) to such system w/o problem but NOT MORE. If memory serves, 1" bulkhead can drain about 600 GPH w/o any restrictions. Since Pump will loose some capacity due to head pressure, never had tank overflowing. As you said could add valve to control but rather recommend to split the return using 2 valves so some water can just return back to sump or to other equipments (UV, Refuge, etc). Closing valve on return piping may put stress on the pump.
If have long tank, can even split three way so you have 2 returns w/ independent valve (one on each corner thus better distribution thru out the tank if feasable) and one valve as control(bypass).

I always prefer to go max as you can (price difference b/n mag 5 and mag 7 is minimal).

Some may used One bigger pump to accommodate Protein Skimmer and UV. Personally always used independent pump for Protein Skimmer. It is easier to maintain this way w/o disturbing return system IMO.

stiggy614

I will T- off the return to have 2 different pipes pumping fresh water to the display tank. I am having the tank drilled with a 1' bulkhead. I will also put a T right after the pump with a flexible hose for doing water changes. this is a pic I found to best explain my T after the pump. it will not have a fuge tho.

stiggy614

tank is 48" x 18" x 20"

stiggy614

skimmer will most likely be a coralife 125 super skimmer

stiggy614

would this be a good choice?

Latest threads

Top Bottom