Return of the Funny Betta Stories

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We thought we'd start a new thread on funny Betta stories with one about our 1st Betta Mario.

You all know most Bettas get excited and flare when the lights are out & their tank light is on? When we first got him, Mario would sit there and flare at the glass until we turned the lights on or his light off but after a little while Mario came up with this routine of going up to the glass on the side, flaring at it, swimming around his big rock formation, then through the top hole in it straight from the back to the front as fast as he could to flare right at us watching him from the front, then back to the glass. And after we turned the light on, he'd swim up to us as if to say "I'm the big, bad Betta fish! Mr. Tough-Guy!" then swim off.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL. That's so cute. Natalie

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That is cute! Isn't it funny how each of our bettas have their own personalities? To say nothing about their attitudes!!!

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cherryrose said:
That is cute! Isn't it funny how each of our bettas have their own personalities? To say nothing about their attitudes!!!
CherryRose
Yea, he infected us SO fast with the Betta Bug & MTS with his tough-guy attitude and the funny things he did. We had no idea what we were in for when we got him. And then like you say each has a unique personality so every new Betta we buy is a new kind of joy.

Another funny thing Mario did (in line with his Big-Bad-Betta-Boy attitude) was the way that he'd act whenever I changed things around in his tank. For the rest of the day at least, he'd flare EVERY time he caught sight of me but be Mr. Sweetie to my wife because she wasn't the one who dared to mess with his stuff.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I swear that Cobalt shakes his tail at me. He swims to the front of the tank, then turns around and shakes! It is tooo funny. Bettas really have personality. I think most "agressive" fish do. Even though I don't think of bettas as agressive- just species agressive.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
I swear that Cobalt shakes his tail at me. He swims to the front of the tank, then turns around and shakes! It is tooo funny. Bettas really have personality. I think most "agressive" fish do. Even though I don't think of bettas as agressive- just species agressive.
LOL That's a good one! We love that story. He's a little stinker and THAT is what makes Bettas, Bettas and us hooked on them. Isn't it funny how they like to assert their character like that, even with us? Our little Aslan thinks he's so tough when he flares at me.. he'll sit there, eat up attention and then flare & swim off.. you think he went to the same school as Cobalt?

True.. I don't view Bettas as "aggressive", more like "spirited", "strong-willed" & "territorial". Hey, when a fish is a Betta they have a right to be like that. After all, the tank they're in belongs to them.. so does their food & us & anything else they see probably, huh? If they were mean & aggressive the way some define it, they couldn't be such loving companions and eat up hours & hours of being talked to as they watch us.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What do your Bettas do when you feed them peas? We feed each of ours a half pea and all 3 like to swim around with it (or a piece of it) in their mouth, sort of taking nibbles, letting it fall, then catching & carrying it again until it's gone. (Like the picture of Sora with his treat.) Our little Aslan likes to let it fall to the surface and pounce on it, taking a bite and then throwing the rest as far as he can, swimming over to that piece and pouncing on it. If a piece of pea gets to where a Betta can't get to it, they look at us as if to say "Get that piece for me, would ya?".

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
When I feed Grim peas, he jumps up at my fingers as a drop the pieces in. He's a little monster, and as I've said before, I'm quite certain he'd eat me if his mouth was big enough!!!
He's so funny, whenever he gets startled hill, dart behind his plant to hide. Then, he comes out flaring and wiggling like "I didn't hide, I was just testing you!"
~J~

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
;D Barney may be ill, but he still has an attitude. He still has finrot and a swollen gill on his right side, but when I fed my fish last night, he grabbed one of the blood worms and shook it. He reminded me of my dog, Chewbacca, who shakes his toys when he is playing with them. It was so funny to watch him.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Timesdragonfly said:
When I feed Grim peas, he jumps up at my fingers as a drop the pieces in. He's a little monster, and as I've said before, I'm quite certain he'd eat me if his mouth was big enough!!!
He's so funny, whenever he gets startled hill, dart behind his plant to hide. Then, he comes out flaring and wiggling like "I didn't hide, I was just testing you!"
~J~
LOL.. they do enjoy eating & eating & eating. well, you know tough guys never get scared or hide.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cherryrose said:
;D Barney may be ill, but he still has an attitude. He still has finrot and a swollen gill on his right side, but when I fed my fish last night, he grabbed one of the blood worms and shook it. He reminded me of my dog, Chewbacca, who shakes his toys when he is playing with them. It was so funny to watch him.

CherryRose
LOL, that's cute! we love when Aslan does that.. Sora & Angel don't. We love watching him chew one after shaking it.. the way he chews it just makes it look like he's eating ambrosia. Hopefully it won't be long before Barney's all better and REALLY teaching those blood worms who's boss!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My very fist Betta I had Mr. Red would flare at me everyday when I got home from work as if to say " Hey, where have you been all day? I've been here with these Kooky dogs all day make noise every chance they got. Now give me some attention and by the way I'm hungry!!" He was such a character. I really miss him.

Another story is when Royell built his very first bubblenest. He did ity in the middle of the night. The next morning I woke up to say good morning to him and he saw me get up and swam right over to me and looked at me all proud as if to say" Look Mommy. I built my first bubblenest for you. I'm so excited." It was a huge bubblenest. It's too bad he died because he was such a happy Betta when I brought him home. It didn't take him long at all to get used to his new home. He loved it. I miss him to even though I only had him a month. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depending on how you look at this it is and isn't funny. I put the fis in the new 25 gallon tank today and when I decided to go lay down and watch them for a bit I thought I saw JT and it should have been Marty JR. Then I relized that it was both of them in there together. And they were not fighting.

The next thing I know they are both on the other sdie and so are the loaches from JT's tank.. Now I know that I pur everyone on the correct side but this is ridiculous. The upside is Marty Jr. os back in the q tank and JT is in the dark with no supper tonight. This has been a strange day. They had a dividerer of 5 sheets of plastiic canvas that fit the tank very well now I do not know how to cover the top. Any advice is appreciated.

Rose

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I bet your bettas think they're really sneaky, Rose Who knows why they do what they do?

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Back before I got my big divided tank, being only semi-informed, I kept my boys in 1 gallon jars. I had a spare jar that I had connected to make a double sized "tank". I started out with my fish Notus in this set up. Notus is my aggressive fish - he once started flaring at the lid of a tube of chapstick I had on my desk. He stayed in the back jar, which is where I always dropped the food in (I can't remember why, I'm sure I had a logical reason.). I rarely saw him. Eventually I switched him to a different jar and put Kiakias, my sweet buddy, in the double. Kiakias sometimes skipped meals because he simply didn't like to go into the back jar. He was so friendly - he always wanted to see where I was at, what I was doing. He was the least aggressive betta I've ever met (never flared at any of his brothers, no matter how angry they gotat him). Unfortunately, K-k died of unknown causes last summer .

My fish Caurus was a spaz and hated the camera. I swear he had a sixth sense. He was perfectly fine, right up until I turned the camera on. then he would dart around his jar/tank so fast I couldn't catch him, until I turned the camera off. Then he would swim over and glare at me like, "I TOLD you, NO PICTURES!"

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emilai333 said:
Back before I got my big divided tank, being only semi-informed, I kept my boys in 1 gallon jars. I had a spare jar that I had connected to make a double sized "tank". I started out with my fish Notus in this set up. Notus is my aggressive fish - he once started flaring at the lid of a tube of chapstick I had on my desk. He stayed in the back jar, which is where I always dropped the food in (I can't remember why, I'm sure I had a logical reason.). I rarely saw him. Eventually I switched him to a different jar and put Kiakias, my sweet buddy, in the double. Kiakias sometimes skipped meals because he simply didn't like to go into the back jar. He was so friendly - he always wanted to see where I was at, what I was doing. He was the least aggressive betta I've ever met (never flared at any of his brothers, no matter how angry they gotat him). Unfortunately, K-k died of unknown causes last summer .

My fish Caurus was a spaz and hated the camera. I swear he had a sixth sense. He was perfectly fine, right up until I turned the camera on. then he would dart around his jar/tank so fast I couldn't catch him, until I turned the camera off. Then he would swim over and glare at me like, "I TOLD you, NO PICTURES!"
LOL.. I love that.. chapstick.. they're such little characters, aren't they? They never cease to amaze.. and I hear you on the camera issue Caurus gave you - HOW do they know?! My wife's favorite, Aslan, is like that. I have to take dozens of shots just to get one shot that's good. He likes to use his plants to ruin shots.. I can't count how many pics i have of 1/2 of him. K-k sounds like our Sora - those are special Bettas. What color were K-k & Caurus? My wife desperately wants to add this guy: to our family. She really wants a red crowntail if we couldn't order a red butterfly.. actually she wants both.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW!! He is truly gorgeous. He's known as a superews which I've been told are worth a lot of money. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nmwierman1977 said:
WOW!! He is truly gorgeous. He's known as a superews which I've been told are worth a lot of money. Natalie
Yea, we're so happy (and TEMPTED greatly by his Bettas) that you sent us the link to that Thai show breeders Bettas. He looks like a great breeder and I am really happy with the setup he has for raising his Betta - much nicer than what I find in the US.

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
LOL.. I love that.. chapstick.. they're such little characters, aren't they?  They never cease to amaze.. and I hear you on the camera issue Caurus gave you - HOW do they know?!  My wife's favorite, Aslan, is like that.  I have to take dozens of shots just to get one shot that's good.  He likes to use his plants to ruin shots.. I can't count how many pics i have of 1/2 of him. K-k sounds like our Sora - those are special Bettas.  What color were K-k & Caurus?  My wife desperately wants to add this guy: to our family.  She really wants a red crowntail if we couldn't order a red butterfly.. actually she wants both. 
K-k was dark brown with red fins, a crowntail. Red bettas aren't my favorite (they're great, Red just isn't my fave color) but K-k was such a sweetheart! I'll have to post the picture I drew of him sometime, along with a reference pic.
Caurus was blue and yellow... he was GORGEOUS. Also a crowntail. I have one decent picture of him, from hundreds of attempts. He was moving even in that picture, just not as fast as usual.

That red boy is lovely!!! I wish I could afford one show betta like that. The cost from Thailand isn't that bad, but shipping within the US would kill me. So I content myself with drooling over pictures of such creatures, and the thought that someday I'll be able to afford it. Make sure to post tons of pictures, whatever you get!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
emilai333 said:
K-k was dark brown with red fins, a crowntail. Red bettas aren't my favorite (they're great, Red just isn't my fave color) but K-k was such a sweetheart! I'll have to post the picture I drew of him sometime, along with a reference pic.
Caurus was blue and yellow... he was GORGEOUS. Also a crowntail. I have one decent picture of him, from hundreds of attempts. He was moving even in that picture, just not as fast as usual.

That red boy is lovely!!! I wish I could afford one show betta like that. The cost from Thailand isn't that bad, but shipping within the US would kill me. So I content myself with drooling over pictures of such creatures, and the thought that someday I'll be able to afford it. Make sure to post tons of pictures, whatever you get!
My wife would LOVE a Betta colored like K-k.. she wants a brown Betta.. She'll definitely want to see that pic. Caurus sounds like my kind of coloring - i love the blue & yellow.. great combination there. Yea, the shipping is an issue, but we may move to Denver in the future & if so, hopefully be able to pick up our Betta directly from the transhipper & save the little guy another leg of shipping stress and save $30 or so in shipping, even if she charged a fee for us picking him up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom