Rethinking The 29 Gallon

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lately I haven't been the happiest with my 29 gallon tank. There have been lots of worries with this tank in the past few weeks (Some of these worries I will definitely need to be assured on) I am planning on getting new carpet in the room that this said 29 gallon tank is in, which means that I will be moving the tank. This is a great opportunity for me to completely redo the tank. Here are my thoughts:
- I would love a nice scape. Driftwood is a must since I have a pleco. Scape thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
- An all black sand substrate would look great in my opinion.
- I will be upgrading my filter from an AC 50 to an AC 70.
- Most of my plants will be kept (Amazona Compacta, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Anubias Nana, and Contortion Vals) I may get rid of my Water Sprite.
- More plants lol

Here is the tank right now:
I'm thinking a nice and large piece of driftwood with some character off to the right a bit. Java moss and java fern would be planted on top of the driftwood. I would probably plant the anubias in front of the driftwood. On the left side there would be some rocks and a terracotta cave. In both back corners there could be the two amazona compactas and the amazon sword. In the front I would put the micro swords. The vals would go in the back somewhere. I am planning on grabbing some ludwigia as a nice background plant too.

Thoughts, opinions, and tips welcome
 

Tony M

Active Member
Member
Messages
209
Reaction score
122
Location
Getzville, NY
Experience
More than 10 years
Gotta say, your tank looks great now and your ideas for the rebuild sound great as well.
 

Woodsman27

Active Member
Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
165
Location
FLORIDA
Experience
3 years
Id leave it how it is tbo It looks great now! If you really want to change something put a carpeting plant on the bottom...
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,161
Reaction score
6,158
Location
Texas
Experience
3 years
I personally think it looks great, but if you aren’t happy with it nobody can stop you from changing it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone. I just feel like this isn’t the best I can do. Plus, this is my show tank (it’s in the family room) so I really want to be happy with it if I’m staring at it all the time lol This also gives me a chance to put a bigger cave for Spike in there. I’m sure he will love that.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
How much sand would I need to cover the bottom? Keep in mind I have plants so I will need an inch or 2. I’m thinking either Black Diamond Blasting Sand or Flourite Black Sand. Flourite Black seems like a good idea for the plants.
 

Collin Chorba

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
58
Location
Michigan (U.S.A)
Experience
1 year
I don’t think you need to upgrade you’re filter, bacteria will populate only to the amount of wast being produced and adding more surface area/more turnover won’t help with filtration, plus that’s not cheap to buy a new filter, especially when it will change very little, just my opinion
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
Eh. It never hurts to have better filtration. I’ve already experienced this filter dieing twice already. It’s only been a month or two. I’m not sure what’s wrong with it.
 

Collin Chorba

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
58
Location
Michigan (U.S.A)
Experience
1 year
VeiltailKing said:
Eh. It never hurts to have better filtration. I’ve already experienced this filter dieing twice already. It’s only been a month or two. I’m not sure what’s wrong with it.
Dying? Can you explain
 

Collin Chorba

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
58
Location
Michigan (U.S.A)
Experience
1 year
VeiltailKing said:
Eh. It never hurts to have better filtration. I’ve already experienced this filter dieing twice already. It’s only been a month or two. I’m not sure what’s wrong with it.
I have an AC 70 with an intake sponge on my 60 gallon black water tank without problems, note I finally got the intake sponge today
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
Collin Chorba said:
Dying? Can you explain
When I do larger water changes I have to turn the filter off because the water level goes below the intake. When I turn it back on it won’t start up again. Finally when I get it to turn on it spurts out a whole bunch of brown ugly stuff. I’ve tried squeezing the sponge out in tank water, but no difference
 

Collin Chorba

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
58
Location
Michigan (U.S.A)
Experience
1 year
VeiltailKing said:
When I do larger water changes I have to turn the filter off because the water level goes below the intake. When I turn it back on it won’t start up again. Finally when I get it to turn on it spurts out a whole bunch of brown ugly stuff. I’ve tried squeezing the sponge out in tank water, but no difference
Are you pouring water into the reservoir before starting it, that would help start it up, as for the brown stuff I bet it’s the built up biofilm on the sides of the filter, when the water is aggressively trying to make its way up the tube/walls of filter it probably dislodges some and shoots it out.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
Collin Chorba said:
Are you pouring water into the reservoir before starting it, that would help start it up, as for the brown stuff I bet it’s the built up biofilm on the sides of the filter, when the water is aggressively trying to make its way up the tube/walls of filter it probably dislodges some and shoots it out.
Yup. I always make sure to pour water in. I bet that might be what the brown stuff is.
 

Collin Chorba

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
58
Location
Michigan (U.S.A)
Experience
1 year
VeiltailKing said:
Yup. I always make sure to pour water in. I bet that might be what the brown stuff is.
Is the adjustable intake on full or low when pouring into reservoir and also same for when you start the filter
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
Collin Chorba said:
Is the adjustable intake on full or low when pouring into reservoir and also same for when you start the filter
I had it on low the first time it happened and high the second time. Do you think this could just be a manufacturing error?
 

Collin Chorba

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
58
Location
Michigan (U.S.A)
Experience
1 year
VeiltailKing said:
I had it on low the first time it happened and high the second time. Do you think this could just be a manufacturing error?
Maybe, try it again on the full and see how well it works, OOOOOOHHHHHH just thought about this, could it be that water is having a hard time pushing through... what’s your media in the filter?
 

Collin Chorba

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
58
Location
Michigan (U.S.A)
Experience
1 year
Collin Chorba said:
Maybe, try it again on the full and see how well it works, OOOOOOHHHHHH just thought about this, could it be that water is having a hard time pushing through... what’s your media in the filter?
Also if the water level is to low when trying to start it it could have trouble pulling the water up the toon, could you post some pics of the set up maybe?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
Collin Chorba said:
Maybe, try it again on the full and see how well it works, OOOOOOHHHHHH just thought about this, could it be that water is having a hard time pushing through... what’s your media in the filter?
I will try that! I have the sponge at the bottom, activated carbon, and those little things in the mesh bag.
 

Collin Chorba

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
58
Location
Michigan (U.S.A)
Experience
1 year
VeiltailKing said:
I will try that! I have the sponge at the bottom, activated carbon, and those little things in the mesh bag.
Maybe try taking out the media and then after it starts flowing you could put it back in
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
1,161
Experience
5 to 10 years
Collin Chorba said:
Also if the water level is to low when trying to start it it could have trouble pulling the water up the toon, could you post some pics of the set up maybe?
This is an older picture, but it’s the same as the set up is now.
94-FFA064-2316-4822-B123-6-DBB7434241-B.jpg
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
291
Guests online
3,401
Total visitors
3,692

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom