Rethinking my tank...again

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I do not know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that cycling takes so long because on the one hand I have done a lot more fish research then I might have, but on the other hand I am constantly rethinking my stocking choices. In any event, I need advice (again). 29 gallon tank btw.

Originally I wanted a DG, 2 german blue rams, a few neon tetras, and some sterbaI corys. BUT after reading about iridovirus, I am definitely rethinking the DG. Could I substitute in 2 nothos killis without a problem? I was hoping for two males because although I know they have a short life span, I do not feel ready to raise fry yet (I have a 5 year old and a 3 month old and I am just not ready to be a mom again!)
Thanks everyone!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd rethink either the blue rams and neons too. They're not temperature compatible. I'd do cardinals instead of neons.

I would only do one male, but you can keep one or a few females if you wanted to. I don't think the eggs will make it to hatching in your community tank anyway (and I'm not sure if they require time out of the tank - they might). If you want to try a longer lived fish, what about peacock gudgeon? They'd do well in your setup. So you could do:

10-15x cardinal tetra
6x SterbaI cory
2x GBR
2x peacock gudgeon

OP
jhigg008

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Great call! Love the gudgeon idea! Just so I could have options, could I swap the gudgeon for the notho killies? I do like the gudgeon though...

Nevermind...I see where you commented on keeping nothos in the above post

OP
jhigg008

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do like the rummy nose, but I like the cardinals as well and my husband really wanted neons so I figure Cardinals is a pretty close aesthetic. Could I do a smaller schools of both rummynose and cardinals or so the not work together?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jhigg008 said:
I do like the rummy nose, but I like the cardinals as well and my husband really wanted neons so I figure Cardinals is a pretty close aesthetic. Could I do a smaller schools of both rummynose and cardinals or so the not work together?
You could do 8 of each, but I would just have one large school.

OP
jhigg008

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright. Thanks for the tips! My husband may just lose on this one

Which ones should I put in the tank first? The tetras? Ive heard the GBRs need older water.

OP
jhigg008

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have TSS but I have been only using ammonia because I wasn't sure of TSS really worked or just prolonged cycle. Heard conflicting things. What do you think? Its been almost 2 weeks at my ammonia is still at about 4 ppm no nitrites. Baseline tap water ammonia reading is .25 ppm (which I guess is the API solution actually measuring ammonium??

Correction - I have API quick start

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You don't have any beneficial bacteria in the filter, that's why you haven't seen any nitrites. Tetra safe start is what you need. It doesn't prolong the cycle, it helps in go faster.
I wouldn't use API quick start, I haven't heard many good things about it. I'd get some TSS.

OP
jhigg008

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright. Sounds good. Should I dose it according to instructions?I guess my confusion was that I didnt realize TSS actually had ben bacteria in it. Thought it only converted ammonia to less harmful chemical for those who do cycling with fish.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OP
jhigg008

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So if I never used TSS (which I will), how long would my ammonia only cycle take do you think?

OP
jhigg008

jhigg008

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay. I have not that kind of patience (at least if it is possible to safely do it faster). Thanks for the help. I will be getting some TSS today!

New Threads