rethinking my stocking... ???

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Swifterz, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Swifterz

Swifterz Valued Member Member

right now i have a 55 gallon community tank with...

2 Firemouth Cichlids
    4 Giant Danios
    6 Tiger Barbs
    1 Rainbow Shark
    1 Rubbernose Pleco

i have really, really been wanting a tiger oscar, and have been thinking for a long time about having another tank.

so here's what i have been thinking of doing..

setting up a 20 gallon long for the TB's, Danios and Rainbow. i know it's a bit overstocked but i think it would be alright since it's 30" long.

for the 55 i'd like to add 1 tiger oscar and keep it with my 2 firemouths, which are right now about 3.5" long. i really don't want to have just 1 fish in the 55.

so it would be two tanks...

55: 1 Tiger Oscar, 2 Firemouth Cichlids

20L: 4 Giant Danios, 6 Tiger Barbs, 1 Rainbow Shark

thoughts?

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think the oscar would probably kill your cichlids. Usually oscars kill anything they're with plus they're really messy. I don't think it's a good idea to mix them at all. Have you thought about just going ahead and getting another larger tank? Like maybe a 75 or even another 55gal? Then you could get two oscars and not have to worry about loosing your current fish.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Regardless of the potential oscar's temperament, it's really not appropriate IMO to house all these fish in a 55. The minimum tank size for one adult oscar is 75 gallons with no other fish in there IMO. I say this because I've seen several oscars in person that are longer than a 55 gallon tank is wide. I can't imagine that an O would be happy in a tank in which it has to contort itself just to be able to turn around, but that is JMO and some people do keep them in 55's.

4. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I can't comment on the Oscar's size because mine's not that big yet. I do have him in a 55. I've actually had 2 Oscars at 2 different times in my life and I never had a problem with them picking on anybody, no matter what style of fish it was.

Just my own personal observations that may not apply to all Oscars.

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

+1. An Oscar wouldn't play nice with the Firemouths in anything under 100gal tank IMO & even then it depends on it's temperament. I don't think a 20gal is big enough for Giant Danios or a Rainbow Shark either.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

hey swifterz, how've you been? I think harpua and nutter have covered it.

7. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

hey! i'm doing alright. how about yourself? it's been a while.

8. OP
    OP
    Swifterz

well, i can't get over the desire for an Oscar. if i can't have nothing else in there with him, then that will just have to do.

but then the question becomes which color... Albino vs. Black. i like them both.

9. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I respectivley disagree with you putting the Tiger Barbs, Giant Danios and RTS in a 20 long due to you wanting an Oscar. Those fish are so active and possibly moving them to a smaller tank might cause space issues and some aggression. They are better off in the 55g and you save up for another 55g or a 75g is much better for a Oscar. IMO I think you would be happier too. :)

10. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I've got to agree that you should wait until you can afford to buy a larger tank specifically for an Oscar. As AlyeskaGirl suggested there just isn't enough room in a 20gal for the fish you want to put in there. For one the tank would be hugely overstocked. Just off the top of my head I would say that a Rainbow Shark, 4 Giant Danios & 6 Tiger Barbs would be roughly double the stock a tank that size can handle no matter how good the filtration is. Then there is the fact that 20gal isn't large enough for a Rainbow Shark at all. You need something more like 40gal for that guy. 20gal also doesn't offer enough swimming space for the danios that really need a tank at least 4ft long IMO. Then there will be the aggression issues from overcrowding just like AlyeskaGirl suggested.

IMO you could put the Tiger Barbs in a 20gal on thier own with nothing else at all & the tank would be ONLY JUST large enough for that.

Wait until you can afford the new tank. You won't be very happy when you lose a bunch of your fish to aggression & poor water quality. They & you will be much happier if you wait.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

+1. You can count on problems moving those fish to a 20L.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice