Rethinking My 60 Gallon Again

Guppykid101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So after taking a good long look at the piece of driftwood that will be going into my 60 gallon I decided that an angelfish might not be the best idea..And maybe not Congo tetras either...
124483821b4d939b4f0cb36f2eddaa20.jpg
dcf6f7ee283c2e3d21fdc2590f8f4f60.jpg

I'm worried that their long find would get all torn up on the little twigs...
Here's what I was going to do:
1x Angelfish
10x Congo tetras
5x Swordtails (1-4 females-males)
2x GBR
10x SterbaI or Aeneuscorys
3-4x mystery snails

So what should I replace the angel with? And should I replace the congos or would they be fine?

I really don't want to alter the wood at all as I bought it for the character of its small twigs and nodules.

My other option is to completely scrap the old stock idea and start fresh, some other options I have considered:
-A LOT of ember tetras and some Cory's
-Replacing the angel with pearl gourami(s?) and congos with a school or 15-20 Harlequin rasboras or another small schooling fish

texasfishkeepr01

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The Angelfish and Congos would be fine with the twigs, the angel would just swim around if the fish knows it couldn't fit. However, a keyhole cichlid or rainbow cichlid could replace the angelfish.

OP
Guppykid101

Guppykid101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anders247 said:
Yeah, the angel should be fine.
But if you don't want them, how about 3-5 pearl gouramis?
If I decide not to go with the angel and the congos could I replace them with a Pearl gouramI and 15-20 small schooling fish or would I be better off getting multiple pearl gouramis instead? Would they not show aggression towards each other?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, you could do that.
Pearls shouldn't be aggressive to each other. They may chase each other around but nothing seriously.

OP
Guppykid101

Guppykid101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anders247 said:
Yes, you could do that.
Pearls shouldn't be aggressive to each other. They may chase each other around but nothing seriously.
Okay thanks! But you guys really don't think the angel would be at risk for fin damage with all the twigs? I have heard that sometimes they'll get caught on stuff or ripped if they dart around.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Even if they did, I doubt it would be a regular occurrence, and they would grow it back quickly if your parameters are correct.

OP
Guppykid101

Guppykid101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anders247 said:
Even if they did, I doubt it would be a regular occurrence, and they would grow it back quickly if your parameters are correct.
Oh okay thanks! And just a double check either of the two stocks I'm looking at doing would be fine in the high 70s correct? I keep my tank at around 78-79F

New Threads