Rethinking Future Stocking

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm gonna try to get a 90g tank for my future Saltwater tank...and I've decided it's going to be a reef.
I'm aware of the fish species' care requirements and will be fully researching them before purchase. I just need to know if there would be any compatibility issues or overstocking here - or if any of you have had trouble with these species on a reef.

1 male and 2-3 females Bimaculatus Anthias (Pseudanthias bimaculatus)

Pair Green Mandarin Dragonet (Pterosynchiropus splendidus) (will be training to frozen food before they go in)

Flame Fairy Wrasse - (Cirrhilabrus jordani) (How do they get along in pairs?)

Linckia Starfish (haven't decided on color)

Emerald Crab

I need something purple...any suggestions? Thinking maybe blackcap basslet or something...also considering a bicolor blenny, but I'm concerned he might be a problem for the mandarins.

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Eienna

A 90 Gallon is great size to start with and I like your list. Something to research further though - I'd be worried about the Cirrhilabrus jordanI and anthias fighting. Maybe they wouldn't but the wrasses sometimes go after similar looking species. Anthias need to be fed multiple times per day and have a so-so track record. They are amazing looking though.

Linckia starfish have a really bad track record for survivability and don't acclimate well and hard to get them eating. I would wait many many months until the sand bed and live rock are well established before getting one if you wanna try one.

Sounds like you know about the mandarins.

OP
Eienna

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mike said:
Yup about the mandarins. I'll be purchasing captive-bred specimens and making sure I have a gigantic healthy population of copepods before I purchase them, as well as the frozen-food training in QT. They'll be nice and fat before they go in with anyone else.

I'm aware of the anthias feeding. I'll be purchasing an autofeeder for when I can't be there, but I'm home almost constantly because I'm disabled so that shouldn't be an issue. They're kind of a must-have; I've kinda fallen in love with them XD

Do you have any suggestions for a better starfish?

That's a good point about the anthias and the wrasse. Maybe a wrasse of a different color would be better? I'm considering a couple different ones, the Scott's in particular, though the flame is my very favorite.

I forgot - my honey wants a clownfish as well. Could I add a pair of ocellaris to the list? If not, maybe dropping the wrasse would make room.

EDIT: I used both google and my usual search engine and nothing came up that made me think there even might be issues between the Flame and the Anthias. Good news!

Maybe just one clown if two is too much?

OP
Eienna

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How about a Helfrichi's Firefish for the purple? That wouldn't add much to the load or the available space

So that makes, with some other thought involved:

Pair Ocellaris Clownfish

Flame Fairy Wrasse

3-4 Bimaculatus Anthias

1 Helfrichi's Firefish (Nemateleotris helfrichi)

1 Green Mandarin Dragonet

Emerald Crab

Possibly another invert, like a cleaner shrimp or something...have to look into that better.

How's that sound? Too much? Room for anything else?

Can bimaculatus anthias or flame fairies be kept in pairs? I'm guessing not for the anthias...

OP
Eienna

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DRAAAT. Need 5 or more females per male for the anthias. I won't have room for that. And I HAD to like the female coloration best -_-;; Maybe if I drop the wrasse? 6 anthias is probably too much for a 90...wonder if I could go with a little bigger tank...

New Threads