Restocking Old Tank. Ideas Please?

1. New fishes Member Member

Hi all. I have a several year old 55g where my older fish have started dying off. It's looking rather empty and sad and I'm looking for some fun ideas. Currently I am down to a rubberlip pleco 7 rummynose tetras and a male betta fish. The pleco is only about a year old but everything else is 4-6 years old now Yes I know the Betta is a very limiting factor. I am totally willing to either divide the tank to separate the betta or put him in his own 5 g to make a new setup work. The tank is heated to about 80 degrees, has a few caves, live and silk plants,moss an adjustable flow filter as well as mixed rock and sand substrate. I would like to keep the rocks so nothing that would prefer straight sand please, Hardy type fish would be nice due to the country well water I have here :)

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Warm water fish (temperature compatible with the betta and rummynoses) or cool water fish (temperature compatible with the ruberlip)?

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd definitely put the betta in a 5, it will give you a lot more options.

4. New fishes Member Member

Honestly I'm not sure what would be better, I know the temps on the high end of the scale for the rubberlip but would he actually benefit from it dropping a free degrees? If so I could drop the temp a couple degrees for all. Especially since these guys are all that's left :'(

5. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

I keep my rubberlip from 70-72... in theory the appropriate lower temp will result in a longer lifespan. Others in my coldwater are zebra danios, rosy barbs, flagfish... super active tank.

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd definitely drop the temp, but the betta does need warmer water, which is another reason to move it to a 5g.

7. New fishes Member Member

I see thank you. I believe I can def lower it closer to 76 for these guys in that case and they would all be comfortable. It' primarily at 80 as when I started this tank I had kuhli loaches and I just lost my angel pair. The flagfish look really interesting but I don't think they would work while I still had the tetras :/

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you considered any rams?

9. New fishes Member Member

Originally I had thought to just up my tetra school and add maybe some rainbows or get a centerpiece fish such as a gbr but I kinda just want to see what ideas and options people throw out

10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The rubberlips like much cooler water than the betta and rummynoses which is why I asked. I wouldn't keep them together.

You could do this and keep the temperature at 80f
    12 rummynoses
    10 cherry barbs
    2 GBR
    1 Angel
    15 albino/bronze cories or kuhli loaches
    1 Clown pleco

Or drop the temperature to around 72f and do this
    10 zebra/leopard danios
    12 WCMM or neon tetras
    2 Honey gouramis
    4 Peacock gobies
    15 Peppered or panda cories

11. New fishes Member Member

Ohh the honey goramis are very pretty. Perhaps I could invest in something midsized to house the rummy's and betta then add the gouramis to the 55. What are the thoughts on pictus catfish? Could they work with gouramus, the rubberlip and one of the schooling fish listed above?

Do you Knoe if Bolivian rams would be too aggressive if I added them.in with some more peaceful schooling type?

12. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Bolivians are definitely not aggressive. I keep mine with WCMM, danios, amano shrimp, guppies, juvenile platies and adult platies.

13. New fishes Member Member

Thanks XD I was seeing some mixed info. Now I have two full separate tank ideas to keep everyone happy oh no lol