Restocking my 10gallon

1. eman4172 Initiate Member

I recently had two fish die off from my ten gallon tank. It now has a Julli Cory and an albino Cory and a Dalmatian Molly. The tank is now running smoothly and I want to put some more fish in it. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

Mollies need a tank bigger than a 10 gallon. IMO, you're already overstocked.

My suggestion would be an upgrade to a 30 gallon+ tank. This would allow you to expand your shoals of cories (they like to be in groups of 6+ of their OWN species--this would mean at LEAST 12 cories, 6 of each kind) and give your molly more space to swim.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

As hopeful fish said, your tank isn't big enough for the fish you have so I wouldn't add any more.
    If you can upgrade that would be great, but if not I'd rehome the fish you have & get something more suitable for the tank.
    You could have habrosus or pygmy corys instead as they stay small.

4. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

What your Trili would appreciate more, he will shoal okay with a mix of different types of Cory cats, so you can stop at six if go for that bigger tank ;)

It would be ideal if you could get 29 gallons or larger and use this 10 gallon as your QT. But if you do need to rehome these fish and not go any larger, this Tank would work well for one of the following options:

1) one Betta or two with a divider that hides them from each other
    2) 14 male Endler's
    3) two or three African dwarf frogs
    4) if your water is soft enough, a school of 8 neons or pristellas, or 2 schools of 4 of each

5. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I agree with everything that's already been said. Please consider using a reliable stocking calculator (such as http://www.aqadvisor.com/) if you are unfamiliar with researching fish. It will provide you with certain warnings that may include, conflicting temperature requirements, the requirement of a large school, and the risk of overstocking.