Restocking After Ich Outbreak

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by kelseysguppies, Aug 9, 2015.

1. kelseysguppiesNew MemberMember

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and hoping I'm posting in the right area. So a brief background... I bought 10 guppies about a month ago, 2 males and 8 females. They were all different colours and patterns and really beautiful. It acclimatised them properly and put them into a well cycled tank and they were doing great, for around 3 weeks. Then out of nowhere the started dying. After a while I began to notice the white spots. I have had guppies before and knew what it was so I began treating then (while doing regular water changes) but it was too late for most. Now I am left with only 2 guppies. 1 male and 1 female. My boy has been hassling the girl a fair amount and I know that I will stress her out considering she is the only female. I am planning on moving my two into a different 40 litre tank at the end on the week, and then using my old tank as a quarantine tank, and possibly getting new guppies as soon as the others have been moved into their new home. My questions are:

Once my original two are in the new tank, how many fish should I be buying/putting into my display tank at a time so I don't stress out my tank/overwhelm my beneficial bacteria?

What would be the minimum amount of time for my new guppies to spend in the quarantine tank? I want to get the new females in with my two as soon as possible to take some of the stress off my girl, but I also don't want to cut corners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .
    Thank you,
    Kelsey..

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

In my personal opinion, you should still quarantine the fish for 3-4 weeks just to make sure you aren't introducing any diseases to the tank. For a 10 gallon aquarium I wouldn't do more than 5-7 guppies either. I also wouldn't do more than double the stock in two weeks.

If that were my setup, I would re-home the female and go with all males. Going with all males is going to leave you with a lot of babies that will very rapidly overstock your aquarium.

3. Blk69Valued MemberMember

My experience with guppies has been something less then stellar. You really need 4 to 6 weeks in quarantine tank to be safe (6 weeks better).

Can you put a divider in your new tank (separate the male and female) for short term. This would help you out greatly.

4. kelseysguppiesNew MemberMember

Thank you for replies! I am aware of overstocking my tank, and am trying to be careful about that. The thing is I want to breed some guppies. I have three more 40 litre tanks ready to go for babies. After I have had a few litters of fry I am planning on separating into male and female tanks.

Thank you for your advice on the quarantine. I will wait 4 weeks and go from there. I am not planing on re-homing my female, as she is pregnant and I want the babies, plus she is a really pretty red colour and I am in love with her. I might try and make a divider, any tips ?
    Thank you for your answers :)

Kelsey.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Blk69Valued MemberMember

You can use almost anything as a divider. What works great is if you have a plastic storage container that is cracked (non useable for storage). These are fairly easy to cut into shape.

Will want to check plastic is fish friendly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice