Restocking After A Disaster.

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello. So recently I constructed a 10 gallon aquarium with the intent of keeping my four male guppies, five amano shrimp, and one nerite snail. Everything went great at first (I'd used pre-cycled materials including water from my 55 gallon). However, one of the new pieces of driftwood had some sort of bloom of a blue-grey bacteria/fungus. I posted about it to another site (anyone ever heard of Amino apps?) and was told it was harmless. Wrong. One of my amano shrimp and all four of my guppies died. Also all of my plants with the exception of my anubias rotted. The shrimp all avoided that piece of driftwood like the plague. I finally took it out and the entire branch smelled like something rotten that had died. I used my test kit and it revealed zero on ammonia, nitrate and nitrite but a massive spike in pH by over 10 (possibly more. It was the highest reading the test could give). I've done a 50% water change and removed the rotten plants. Now my question is what to do once I have my water parameters back in order.

I still have the 4 surviving amano shrimp and nerite snail and I was wondering what else might go with them. I considered a betta but I already have one in my twenty tall with my harlequin rasboras. I was thinking about lowering the temperature, replanting and doing a group of white clouds. Agree? Disagree? Other suggestions are also welcome.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fredward said:
Hello. So recently I constructed a 10 gallon aquarium with the intent of keeping my four male guppies, five amano shrimp, and one nerite snail. Everything went great at first (I'd used pre-cycled materials including water from my 55 gallon). However, one of the new pieces of driftwood had some sort of bloom of a blue-grey bacteria/fungus. I posted about it to another site (anyone ever heard of Amino apps?) and was told it was harmless. Wrong. One of my amano shrimp and all four of my guppies died. Also all of my plants with the exception of my anubias rotted. The shrimp all avoided that piece of driftwood like the plague. I finally took it out and the entire branch smelled like something rotten that had died. I used my test kit and it revealed zero on ammonia, nitrate and nitrite but a massive spike in pH by over 10 (possibly more. It was the highest reading the test could give). I've done a 50% water change and removed the rotten plants. Now my question is what to do once I have my water parameters back in order.

I still have the 4 surviving amano shrimp and nerite snail and I was wondering what else might go with them. I considered a betta but I already have one in my twenty tall with my harlequin rasboras. I was thinking about lowering the temperature, replanting and doing a group of white clouds. Agree? Disagree? Other suggestions are also welcome.
Aw, sorry for the loss
I would say that WCMM would be OK in a 10 gallon, just do about 6-8 along with the shrimp and snail.

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
Aw, sorry for the loss
I would say that WCMM would be OK in a 10 gallon, just do about 6-8 along with the shrimp and snail.
Thanks for your condolences.
My nearby LFS keeps a stock of WCMM that I've been eyeing for months. I wasn't sure though whether they'd really be appropriate for a 10 gal. I would probably go with something smaller like CPD or Chili rasboras if they were ever available where I live.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom