Restocking a 20 long and a 30g

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have two home tanks that I'd like to finish stocking/restock. One 20 long and one 30g, both well planted with sand substrate, kept at about 78 degrees.

The 20g was originally an overflow tank when COVID closed my school and I didn't want to bring my classroom 40g home. It currently has 9 kuhli loaches, 6 endlers, and 6 black neons. I love the kuhlis and the neons, but the location of the tank means that we're not usually close enough to appreciate the endlers so I might rehome them. My boys love neon tetras and I love getting them involved, so...

Plan 1: neon tank (black neons, glow light tetras, neon tetras, green neons, cardinal tetras, gold neons: I'd choose three species, six of each) plus the kuhlis

Plan 2: kuhlis, a few more black neons, and a centerpiece fish (honey gouramis or a Bolivian ram)

The 30 gallon currently houses 6 white skirts and a pictus catfish. He was accidentally purchased with a Craigslist tank and will be moving to my in-laws 55 with some friends as soon as their county is safe to travel to (they are the hardest hit in our state right now and we don't want to bring COVID back with us).

Plan: keep the white skirts, add 8 serpae tetras and 3 black skirts. Once the pictus is gone, add a large school of trilineatus Corie's and a pair of Bolivian rams.

Thoughts? Concerns? Other ideas? Thanks!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like plan B for the smaller tank. I don't have any personal experience with honey gouramis or Bolivian rams, but I think either would be fine. Maybe a pair of the rams instead of just one?

And I like the plan for the 30. If you're doing the rams in it I'd go with the gouramis in the 20.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm partial to apistogramma. Not sure which 30 you have (dimensions) but I'd get 2 or 3 apistogramma (they will stay in the lower portion of the tank and not compete with the skirts). I'd also get a scavenger - maybe 12 pygmy cory and something a little smaller than the white skirt (neon? galaxy rabsbora) as a second schooling fish. I have 5 white fine rosy tetra (same shape as the white skirt) in my 40 breeder and i wouldn't add a second school that large but i do have a lot of other fishes including guppies, kubotai rasbora, forktail rainbow, apistogramma C and a few others.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
For the smaller tank I like the second option, and may I suggest GBR. (Mostly because I don't like glow fish). And as for the larger, I would skip out on the black skirt tetras, you would have to up them to 6 at least, and that seems overstocked, but you can keep the rest and be safe on stocking. And don't pick any fish with long fins, serpae tetras are very nippy.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GBR generally require careful care if you wish for them to live very long. Unless you have a lot of experience with delicate fishes i would skip GBR. Apistogramma are quite colourful but do not require the same level of care.

OP
Otocinclus13

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JettsPapa said:
I like plan B for the smaller tank. I don't have any personal experience with honey gouramis or Bolivian rams, but I think either would be fine. Maybe a pair of the rams instead of just one?

And I like the plan for the 30. If you're doing the rams in it I'd go with the gouramis in the 20.
You make a good point about mixing up centerpiece fish. Thank you! I've been wanting bolivians for a long time and I got a bit monopic

jake37 said:
I'm partial to apistogramma. Not sure which 30 you have (dimensions) but I'd get 2 or 3 apistogramma (they will stay in the lower portion of the tank and not compete with the skirts). I'd also get a scavenger - maybe 12 pygmy cory and something a little smaller than the white skirt (neon? galaxy rabsbora) as a second schooling fish. I have 5 white fine rosy tetra (same shape as the white skirt) in my 40 breeder and i wouldn't add a second school that large but i do have a lot of other fishes including guppies, kubotai rasbora, forktail rainbow, apistogramma C and a few others.
I was considering apistos and I haven't ruled them out. I was only hesitant because I've heard that people have had problems with them and cories, and I plan to stock trilineatus cories once the pictus is gone. Black skirts are actually the same species as white skirts and school together well, from what I've heard, but I'll probably start with serpaes and see how busy the tank looks.

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
For the smaller tank I like the second option, and may I suggest GBR. (Mostly because I don't like glow fish). And as for the larger, I would skip out on the black skirt tetras, you would have to up them to 6 at least, and that seems overstocked, but you can keep the rest and be safe on stocking. And don't pick any fish with long fins, serpae tetras are very nippy.
One day I will keep GBR (the gold variety is my single favorite fish!), but my house looses power frequently in winter and I've opted to stick to hardier fish for now. I can do water changes for cleanliness but maintaining GBR temps would be tough.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just to be clear my comment wasn't around 'busy' but the physical size of the fish. The serape won't be 'busy' unless they feel crowded in which case they will pick on each other; otherwise they will group up and not move a whole lot 'cept during feeding time. I find the kubotai rasbora and more so the forktail rainbow a lot more active and as an added bonus they are smaller so they have 'more' space to swim relative to their size.

Otocinclus13 said:
but I'll probably start with serpaes and see how busy the tank looks.

One day I will keep GBR (the gold variety is my single favorite fish!), but my house looses power frequently in winter and I've opted to stick to hardier fish for now. I can do water changes for cleanliness but maintaining GBR temps would be tough.

New Threads