Restocking 55 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sawchynegger, Jul 26, 2015.

1. sawchyneggerValued MemberMember

I moved some fish between some of my tanks and now I'm left with a 55 mostly planted tank (soon to be fully planted) with 1 large gold angelfish and a CAE and that's it. the CAE was rehoused from my 180. I'm watching him to make sure he doesn't try to go after the angelfish. So far he totally ignores him. Looking to restock. I want to keep top and mid level swimmers that won't eat from the substrate. The CAE only seems to go after bottom feeders. Any ideas? Would like some odd balls but not sure there are too any compatibility issue with the CAE.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The CAE when older will go after the angel, they are prime targets for them.
    Also, a CAE gets too big for a 55.

3. sawchyneggerValued MemberMember

The CAE is about 2 yrs old and about 6 inches. He could always go back in my 180 if he becomes a problem. Well, he's already kind of a problem actually. Only reason I took him out was cause he was out competing my royal pleco for food and became aggressive towards him.

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would rehome it to someone else. Or, can the pet store take it?

5. sawchyneggerValued MemberMember

I think your right. I like the guy but he is causing all kinds of problems. I've been moving fish back and forth all weekend cause of him which isn't good for me or them haha! In order accommodate the CAE I moved my red tail shark to the 180 with american cichlids (texas, jack, oscar). The RTS was chasing all of them relentlessly and they were all stressed out. Just now I moved the RTS back to the 55 and now the CAE is beating up on him. Calling the fish store to see if they will take him. No more CAEs for me.

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Good idea. Imo CAEs should be banned from the hobby......

7. sawchyneggerValued MemberMember

I'm starting to agree. I think the only tank that would work for him would the CAE as the only bottom feeder along with a large school or smaller fish like tetras or something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice