ReStocking 36 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by platy21, Dec 4, 2015.

1. platy21

platy21Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello everyone.

I am looking to restock my 36 gallon bowfront and am looking for suggestions. My current stock is as follows:

10-12 Platy's
    6 Harlequin Rasbora's
    2 Kribensis
    4 Panda Cory's.

I am looking for more of a centerpiece fish. I like the look of the Harlequin's, and wouldn't mind adding another schooling fish to my set up. However, I want a fish that will act as a centerpiece for the tank. The platy's are a result of 2.5 years of in-tank breeding, and are slowing dying off. I have no plans to replace them as of right now. I enjoy watching the Panda Cory's drift around the bottom, so I might consider adding more to their school. The Kribensis though, were probably a bad choice for my tank. They are a mated pair and have produced fry several times; although none have made it to adulthood. They go through periods of aggression and generally are in their hide all day.

So, my question is this- are there any centerpiece fish that would fit with my aquarium? Does anyone have a similar setup such as mine and have had success adding a centerpiece?

I am running two filters on the tank. A Fluval 306 canister filter and Aquaclear 50 HOB filter.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  2. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would do one angel fish , however I have never kept kribs and do not know anything about them . the other fish you mentioned would be fine with one angel as a centerpiece, Wait for more answers from who know about kribs. Alison:;jaws

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If you want an angelfish then you will need to get a different type of cory, as they need cooler water than angels. Get C. aeneus in place of the pandas. At least 5.
    Kribs also need warmer water than pandas.

4. OP
    OP
    platy21

Ratings:
    +199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I had an Angelfish who actually just passed away. I liked having him in the tank, but was thinking of branching out a bit with a new fish. Any other suggestions?

5. OP
    OP
    platy21

Ratings:
    +199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I should also add that the LFS is interested in my Kribensis, so they may be rehomed soon.

6. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So you're going to rehome the kribs and keep the pandas?
    OK. In that case, get pearl gouramis.

7. OP
    OP
    platy21

Ratings:
    +199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Most likely. The Kribs are becoming too aggressive in my tank and my LFS is interested in them. I hate to rehome then, but I feel that may be best. Is anyone on here close to Pittsburgh and interested in them?

Pearl Gourami's seem interesting. How many Pearls should I get, if I go that route?

8. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
  9. AquariaP

AquariaPValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a beginner and do not know if these mix well with the fish in your tank, but I recently added 4 female sunset thick lip gourami to my 36g which already housed a school of rasboras. Everyone gets along nicely. A single sunset thick lip gourami would be ok too. Mine were super curious and friendly from day 1. They eat from my hand!

If you rehome the other fish I would also increase the harlequin's school.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  10. OP
    OP
    platy21

Ratings:
    +199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I plan on increasing the Harlequin's and the Cory's, as well as perhaps adding a school of Neon or Cardinal Tetra's. I am also considering rehoming the platy's. I have kept platy's for almost a decade, and am looking to go a completely different route with this tank re-build.

Any other cichlids or larger fish that would work in my tank? Keep in mind that I plan on keeping the Harlequin's and Cory's, and am potentially searching for an additional schooling fish. Ideally I would like to have two or three schools of fish with a larger, centerpiece fish (or two) in the tank.

Although I have gotten this idea in my head to completely upgrade my tank to a 55 gallon. Probably won't be able to do that, but I would love the extra space.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  11. Genobreaker

GenobreakerWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +149
    Experience:
    3 years
    Not sure, but maybe some kind of Apistogramma.