Restock after ammonia poisoning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by 42wallabyway, Aug 2, 2015.

1. 42wallabyway

42wallabywayNew MemberMember

My poor little honey gourami didn't survive after getting ammonia poisoning. I believe the parameters are still pH 7.6, ammonia .25 ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 ppm. I still have a mystery snail in the tank, who seems to be just fine. I was wondering how long should I wait to restock my tank? Or should I empty everything and start over? I was thinking about just getting a lionhead goldfish. Also should I ditch the Tetra condition products I have in favor of the Seachem products?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes definitely go with Seachem products. The tetra products are subpar imo. You need to get rid of the ammonia in your tank before considering restocking. Sorry about your loss:(

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    42wallabyway

Should I countinue running my tank and check the levels or empty it out and start with a fresh batch of water?

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You should continue to run the tank and add Seachem Stability till your tank's mini cycle is over.

5. Et tuValued MemberMember

Unless you up grade to a much larger tank forget about goldfish. Read up on 10 gallon stocking lists. Dom90 ( is your user name your preferred beverage? ) has given you excellent advise.

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Lol no, my name is Dom and I'm actually born in 1984, but I guess 90 just sounded better and plus it makes me feel a few years younger lol. I also think Dom84 was taken, it wouldn't let me register as such.

7. OP
    OP
    42wallabyway

Thanks everyone!

Do you guys have any idea on what fish to get if I just wanted a single "statement" fish for my 10 gallon that will get along with my snail?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

A betta.....

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Agree with Anders. ^^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice